Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Witch Blast (dungeon crawl shooter)  (Read 103458 times)

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
Re: Witch Blast (dungeon crawl shooter)
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2015, 09:35:23 am »
Hi and thanks!
the heart sound and sound when you fire the shield, protecting golden key make noises on play (in game), but in Audacity editor everything's fine... Don't know, what' the problem  :(
I don't know what can do that and you're the only one to complain about these noises, it's weird...
I will make the slime sound quieter.

We are now finalizing the next release, there will be a lot of new content and changes, and here two screenshots of some new tiles:

achpile

• View Profile
    • Achpile's homepage
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2015, 09:42:38 am »
Wow!!! Big rooms!!! And the art... it... is... AMAZING!!!!! Cirrus Minor, you've made a great job!!!!! And it's a great pleasure to see, how's your project growing up!!! And a great pleasure for me to be a part of it as a russian translator ;)

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2015, 10:41:23 am »
Thanks achpile, and thanks for your contribution to the project!

The rooms are still the same size as they used to be, but with the smaller tiles in the first screen, we can think they're bigger.
And yes, the 2D artist is really skilled!

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2015, 07:38:29 am »
Witch Blast v0.5
Download: https://github.com/Cirrus-Minor/witchblast/releases/tag/v0.5

Hi, the new Witch Blast is out!
It focuses on achievements and brings the level 7, a new boss, a lot of content and gameplay improvements.

Changelog (from v0.4.6b to v0.5)
(click to show/hide)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBU2m_8PJ8U

Have fun !

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2015, 10:41:31 pm »
This is really coming along nicely. Good work! :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2015, 01:03:10 pm »
Hey guys, a few days ago I finished up my proof-of-concept implementation of Emscripten support in SFML. As part of my wide-scale testing, I intend on trying to port open-source SFML projects to the browser platform. I thought Witch Blast was a good candidate to stress most of the core SFML modules and it doesn't rely on anything non-SFML.

This is the result. (Caution, you need to download ~44MiB of embedded resources) ;D

Bear in mind that the implementation is still experimental and undergoing thorough testing, as such buggy stuff might not be excluded.

Porting Witch Blast was not really that hard. There were a few things that had to be rewritten a bit, but they are not Emscripten-specific and would work on other platforms just as well. I'll probably write up a guide once I'm satisfied with the stability of the codebase. Since Witch Blast is under GPL, I'd be happy to provide a code-diff for you to review. I just didn't think it would be necessary since so little had to be done.

Have fun. ;)
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »
It works! :D

Though when loading the boss level or at the end of a level it takes quite a while till it proceeds.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2015, 03:32:41 pm »
Hey! It's working quite good, I'm really impressed!

Quote from: eXpl0it3r
Though when loading the boss level or at the end of a level it takes quite a while till it proceeds.
It occurs when the music changes (there is a latency after killing the boss too, and same in the challenge rooms, where the music is different too).

The only bug I've noted: R-Shift was always pressed (I've change the "time control" to another key, and it's working).

Great Job, binary1248!

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2015, 04:29:05 pm »
Tested with Chromium, works quite nicely! Starting from the first boss/level 2, I experienced a lot of lag when shooting.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2015, 04:44:43 pm »
The lock-ups during loading are due to one of the restrictions of web applications, they don't allow emulation of threads with shared state. As such, using sf::Music (and anything else relying on and including sf::Thread itself) just won't work, since it relies on a background thread that continuously decodes samples from the music files. Everything has to be loaded in one go, so the "easiest" solution to make it lock-up free would be to load everything possible at the start of the application, unfortunately this would require loads of memory (but who doesn't have 16GiB of RAM these days? ;D). The cleanest solution would be to make use of web workers to load resources in truly native background threads, but that would require either an addition to the SFML API or rewriting portions of the application in Emscripten-specific code, both of which I didn't want to do :P.

At some point, like I said, I'll probably write a "porting guide" or a "best practices for web compatibility guide" for SFML. If developers follow those, they should be able to port their applications basically for free to the web platform. All in due time... ;)

The only bug I've noted: R-Shift was always pressed (I've change the "time control" to another key, and it's working).
Hmm... that's strange, did you cause the HTML document to lose focus in any way while holding R-Shift down? The application can only receive input events when it has focus, and since it can't asynchronously ask an operating system for the current key state, it has to rely on tracking the state changes itself. This means that keys can get "stuck" in the down position if focus is lost while they were released. Maybe there is a way to fix this, I still have to work on polishing the implementation up.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2015, 08:04:48 pm »
Quote from: binary1248
Hmm... that's strange, did you cause the HTML document to lose focus in any way while holding R-Shift down?
No I didn't. I've tried a few times, and R-Shift and R-Ctrl stay pressed. I'm on Chrome.

I've tested on FF, and the R-Shift works (it seems to be a Chrome related bug?)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2015, 11:13:06 am »
For playing music, you could probably utilize <audio>. Not sure if that covers all features of sf::Music, but at least playing, pausing, seeking and changing the volume should be possible.

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »
Witch Blast v0.5.3
Download: https://github.com/Cirrus-Minor/witchblast/releases/tag/v0.5.3

A "patch" with bug fixes, gameplay improvements, some new art and the German (thanks Geheim!) and Russian (thanks Achpile!) translations.

Changelog (from v0.5 to v0.5.3)
(click to show/hide)

Have fun !

Quote from: Tank
For playing music, you could probably utilize <audio>
Yes, I could do that, but I should do something with particles too, it's hardly playable in advanced levels when everything is firing.

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »
Witch Blast v0.6
Download: https://github.com/Cirrus-Minor/witchblast/releases/tag/v0.6

Hi!
An update with some cool stuff:
- joystick support,
- improved gameplay
- new art for the dungeon - walls, doors...
and online scores!

Changelog (from v0.5.3 to v0.6)
(click to show/hide)

About the online scores:
- it's only available on the Windows build - I may have a Linux build soon too,
- they are experimental and can cause latency,
- you won't save a score on line if you're resuming a saved game,
- there are now 3 hi-scores screens: 10 best scores online, 10 best scores of the day, 10 best scores local.

Have fun !

kiswa

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2015, 02:16:00 pm »
Wow, that screenshot has made me realize how horribly bad I am at this game (though I still enjoy playing it!). I'm not even halfway to the lowest of the top 10 scores there. :(