Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 3 - What is your vision?  (Read 237452 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: SFML 3 - What is your vision?
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:28 pm »
Oh, so now this thread is about your library. Nice.

From now on, any post not talking seriously about SFML 3 will just be removed. We open public discussions to get relevant feedback. If you want to discuss in detail a particular feature, or talk about your own project, feel free to open a new thread, everybody will be happy to contribute to the discussion. But not here, this is just not the right place.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Carlitox

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2014, 03:18:52 pm »
There was a problem with sf::sleep. Some programs like Chrome modify the FPS.

http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=10231.0

I had the same problem using sf::sleep to wait in the main loop. This should be solved in SFML 3.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:20:47 pm by Carlitox »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2014, 03:25:08 pm »
There was a problem with sf::sleep. Some programs like Chrome modify the FPS.
This is already fixed.

Foaly

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2014, 07:01:05 pm »
I have to say I really like the ideas in NoobsArePeople2's post. Especially Sprite batching, texture atlasing and a System Info class (eventhough I'm not sure if it should be part of SFML... but never the less I would love to see that class :D ). And of course a list of contributors!

Another thing that I would also love to see is features for the sf::Text class. I love the simplicity and power of this class. But still I would love to see thing like support for non-western texts/fonts, different styles and layouts.

I'm not 100% sure about C++11 being required for SFML 3. It sounds really nice, but one of Laurents main concerns has always been backwards compatibility and support for "old" (i.e. not brand new) platforms and setups. So I don't know... But conditional support is probably not a good idea either, because it will lead to things like binary incompatibilities. I know C++11 support has been request quiet a lot in this thread, but I think we should put priority on adding and improving fuctionality. But of course this all depends on when SFML 3 is released and how succesfull C++11 has turned out untill then.

And I hope that the SFML 3 API is still clean and simple and not cluttered with things unrelated to a multimedia library/layer. After all this is one of the things that makes SFML so great.

One of my dreams for SFML 3 has already become true. That is more community driven development! And that is what's happening right here right now! I hope we can keep up the great work and keep on making SFML better and better!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »
I would love to see thing like support for non-western texts/fonts
??

different styles
??

Foaly

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2014, 09:52:30 pm »
I am sorry if I wasn't clear. Now that I read it again it seems rather confusing. :D
What I meant was different writing directions like right to left or top to bottom. Also things like ligatures would be nice. They are necessary in some languages, but they can also make quiet a good looking effect. With styles I meant stuff like line spacing or strikethough.
I know some of these things already have a ticket on the tracker. I just wanted to state that I would be happy to see them integrated.
Sorry for my bad wording.

Canadadry

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2014, 12:07:39 am »
It is uncomfortable for me (and I think I am not alone) to have 3 different vector types (Vector2u, Vector2f, Vector2i) and 2 different rectangle types (FloatRect, IntRect).
There are several types of vectors and rectangles for the same reason that there are several types for numbers. Because each type is suitable in a given situation.

Yeah I find it really annoying too. I get what you're saying Laurent, but most of the time I only use/care about the float version. Could you at least provide cast facilities ? something like that (if you don't have a better ideas):

sf::Vector2i exactPos = floatPos.to<int>();

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:52 am »
Please read the documentation. There are conversion constructors between different vector types...

And different types are not "annoying", their existence is crucial.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2014, 07:52:37 am »
Describing pixel coordinates with floats would be just wrong (what is 0.1 pixel??).
Describing world coordinates with integers would be stupid ;)

So yeah, we need different types, it's not just to annoy people. Moreover, when you need to cast between vector types, then you most likely did something wrong (forgot to call the function which maps from one coordinates system to the other).

Canadadry

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2014, 08:08:08 am »
Don't try to teach me the good coding behavior, I know them, this is my work to know that. But I'll tried to explain what I do with SFML.

I'm mainly using SFML to make games. And for making games is not about perfect code, with perfect architecture and perfect respect of all programming matter such as choosing the right type. For me is about prototyping and fast development and trashing.  You're right in everything you said but in that special case I couldn't care less about coding right. I just want to make a prototype and work on the gameplay. Maybe I should not use SFML for that purpose and using something like unity or gamemaker. But I like C++ and SFML  ;D

I always use float, and it's wrong but it work fine.

You're asking what's battering us, I'm just answering.

PS: I've read this class so many times... I don't know how I could not see that constructor. ^^

Edit: I'm not sure you will have good answer with this question (about our vision) I find more interesting to know what people are doing with SFML. And then you will know what SFML is lacking. If everyone is making 2D game, maybe it's wise to help them with a game module.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:28:05 am by Canadadry »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2014, 08:47:21 am »
Having to cast between vector types is not only not-perfect, it's also most likely wrong. As I said, it's often (always?) a strong hint that you've forgotten to call the conversion function that maps one coordinates system to another. Sure it won't make any difference if you only use the default view and never resize your window... ;)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2014, 08:59:06 am »
Don't try to teach me the good coding behavior, I know them, this is my work to know that.
Too bad it's not your job to follow them, unfortunately. :D Just kidding.

You said it yourself: "I always use float, and it's wrong but it work fine. ". I think you agree that we don't want to force things that are wrong. If you only use SFML for prototyping, that's fine, but we don't want to exclude people who want to create serious projects that care more about code safety and design.

Carlitox

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2014, 03:47:04 pm »
For me is about prototyping and fast development and trashing.  .....  Maybe I should not use SFML for that purpose and using something like unity or gamemaker. But I like C++ and SFML  ;D

For protoypes it's better to use a lua based framework. My favorite one is gideros mobile.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:50:28 pm by Carlitox »

dk123

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2014, 04:47:35 pm »
- c++11 addition
- more text flexibility
- emscripten

I just want to point out if someone can get a emscripten backend in place, then people can wrap things in Phonegap or Crosswalk and also get things running on mobile.

As for flexibility with text:
- Ability to define colours within the text
- Ability to change size within the text
- Ability to change style within the text (bold/italic,etc)
- Automatic changing of line when text passes a certain width
- Vertical text output

These are the features that initially come to mind. Changing colours/size/style of parts within text can currently only be done by chopping strings up, applying the styles, and sticking them together in appropriate screen locations.

It would be great if SFML could do these internally without any external fuss.

Anyway, it's great that people are discussing about the future.
Good to see all the conversations freely going about.

Oldie

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »
An issue I am dealing with in my own project:
The application allows the user to switch language on the fly in a settings screen. Most sf::Text instances display some text in the current language. Whenever the language is changed, all of these instances have to apply the sf::Text::setString() method with the reference to the new localized string. Said string, a sf::String, is always at the same address, stored in a std::map.
Would it be possible to let a sf::Text instance hold a pointer-like member to an external sf::String, so that nothing has to be applied when that string changes? Basically the class Text must know that the string has changed somehow, so as to display the updated string.
Working on a Tic-tac-toe game

anything