Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Occult Classic - 2D Dungeon Arena Spell Based Fighter  (Read 8445 times)

Deathbeam

• VB6, VB.NET, C#, HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript nerd.
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
Occult Classic - 2D Dungeon Arena Spell Based Fighter
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:19:15 am »

What is Occult Classic?
It is a 2D Dungeon Arena Spell PvP Battle, wich can be played on Offline on LAN and also on Global Server.
Fast and fun, you will be able to unlock new dungeons, each dungeon has it's own difficulty.

Unique combat
Combat will be sort of unique. It will be based mainly around physics interactions and of course spells. Spells can be multi-target or projectiles (maybe I will add also some single target ones, but that will break the fun :P). Also, movement will be unique too (atleast in 2D game). Movement is based on FPS shooters, so you are actually not moving in 4 or 8 dir as it is usual in 2D top-down games, you will be rotating camera and moving forward or backward. Yes, dat fun :D Okay, to explain combat system a bit more, I wanna make it similar to Warlocks map for Warcraft 3. Here is video of Warlocks:

Can I test it?
Yes, simply download Occult from its GitHub repo and run it from /bin folder. https://github.com/deathbeam/OccultClassic

Show me some media bro :)
Yep, here it goes. First, some screenies (we do not decided graphic style yet)

(click to show/hide)

Video (with temporary graphics)

Contributors:
Deathbeam (me) - Main programmer
Lex The Great - Secondary programmer (working on game extensibility with Lua)
cadrius - Programmer (working on auto-updater)
Lumiere - Pixel artist

How can I contribute?
If you wanna help us and be part of team and you are skilled in C#, Lua or you can make some graphics, you can contribute to Occult git repository here: https://github.com/deathbeam/OccultClassic
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:41:08 am by Deathbeam »
Spooker Framework - Open source gaming library
My portfolio
Indie Armory - Small community of a game developers. Everyone is welcome. Bring your friends, family, pets...

Veritas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Occult Classic - 2D Dungeon Arena Spell Based Fighter
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:30:01 pm »
I love the idea but from the video there appears to be a huge lag problem. Please keep us informed on the game's development state!
"Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate"

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:45:52 pm »
I love the idea but from the video there appears to be a huge lag problem. Please keep us informed on the game's development state!
Oh no, it is only becouse my graphic card is burned so my notebook is only only one what is bound to motherboard. Here it is recorded in GIF without lags :D And thanks, we are now working on more spell effects, for example on this gif you can see new frozen ball spell.
My portfolio
Indie Armory - Small community of a game developers. Everyone is welcome. Bring your friends, family, pets...

Veritas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »
Wow this is actually pretty smooth! Just a minor detail, the camera rotation seems a bit out of theme (but that may just be me). Have you considered keeping it steady ? Other than that (and the crash) it looks great and I would love to try it out after it is released. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:56:56 pm by Veritas »
"Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate"

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:36:46 pm »
Wow this is actually pretty smooth! Just a minor detail, the camera rotation seems a bit out of theme (but that may just be me). Have you considered keeping it steady ? Other than that (and the crash) it looks great and I would love to try it out after it is released. Keep up the good work!
Yes, camera rotation is a bit out of theme, but it is making game more fun to play and game appears more "fast" when not moving in classical 4 or 8 directions. And yep, crash i becouse I do not optimized loading of paarticles yet :D
My portfolio

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »
So I was working on Occult a bit, and I fixed and optimized projectiles a lot, so I removed that bug with fast casting projectiles and also now they are spawning instantly, before there was a bit delay becouse it was oading texture to memory, now it is cached. Also, I added map chooser, it will simply get all maps from /maps folder. It is already working, but I must add more options to Create Game window. And ofc, GUI is only temporary.

My portfolio

The Illusionist Mirage

• My Life = Linux, C++ & Computers
    • View Profile
    • fleptic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:22:27 pm »
Wonderful! Excellent! I'm out of words  :-X (really, trust me!)

I'm curious to know how you made the WIP updater transparent (i.e., how's that it's not in a window and appears like an image)?

Best of luck to you and your team.  ;)

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 04:27:05 pm »

I'm curious to know how you made the WIP updater transparent (i.e., how's that it's not in a window and appears like an image)?

O.o thanks for kind words :) And I dont know, I do not programmed updater :D
My portfolio

cadrius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 11:53:47 pm »

ok.. i just registred for answer that question.. (took 5min to find the meaning of the S.... 'simple')
the windows style is set at none..(a empty square u cant move / close / minimize) then the bg is a floating picture and set if click on background (not on item)
the form is movable. and etc.. and etc.. and etc...

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »
I don't think SFML can do transparent contexts.. So I don't think that updater is being made with SFML rendering code.. Not sure though, but you can indeed do that for cases with no transparency inside the window rectangle only.

cadrius

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »
I don't think SFML can do transparent contexts.. So I don't think that updater is being made with SFML rendering code.. Not sure though, but you can indeed do that for cases with no transparency inside the window rectangle only.

the game is in sfml.. but the auto updater not really....
anyway..

a new screenshot in the spoiler about the auto updater (using the game... a old version in the screenshot)
(click to show/hide)

Deathbeam

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:13:39 pm »
Created mockup of in-game GUI:

Also, new video with new spells:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:31:44 am by Deathbeam »
My portfolio