Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Feedback wanted - Simple Gravity Game.  (Read 14549 times)

Jycerian

• Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character
    • View Profile
Feedback wanted - Simple Gravity Game.
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:11:27 pm »
SCROLL DOWN

Hi there, yesterday I started working on a new game. Actually my first game I am planning to finish. I would be glad if you guys can give me some feedback.

http://puu.sh/9qHiB/38bc03ce3b.zip

Click with your left mouse button on the spaceship and drag your mouse in the direction you want the spaceship to move then release your left mouse button to move the spaceship. The more you drag your mouse the faster the spaceship will move.

The goal is to reach the wormhole (square), at the moment it will do nothing but in the future it will bring the player to a different section in space (next level).

Note: I only have just started developing, this program is really minimalisitic.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:28:05 pm by Jycerian »

Strelok

• View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: Feedback wanted - Simple Gravity Game.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:20:14 pm »
GNU/linux binaries? Dragging the mouse and creating a long line doesn't make the spaceship move (running on wine)

JuDelCo

• View Profile
    • JuDelCo's Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:22:02 pm »
How did you that glow effect ? :P

Jycerian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »
GNU/linux binaries? Dragging the mouse and creating a long line doesn't make the spaceship move (running on wine)

Ah, I use Windows 7. Do not really have a clue what to do to make it work on other os's, sorry!.

How did you that glow effect ? :P

Photoshop my friend :)

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:27:47 am »
Tried with Windows 8.
It's working :)

I've tried (in vain) to reach the square in the bottom-right - it's the goal, isn't it ?

Jycerian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:40 am »
Tried with Windows 8.
It's working :)

I've tried (in vain) to reach the square in the bottom-right - it's the goal, isn't it ?

Yes that is the goal,  I forgot to mention that haha it is somewhat important :) At the moment it does nothing when you hit the square but I will make it so that it will bring you in a different section in space (next level). Some input would be nice, what do you think about this concept? What cool things would you like to see in this game?

MiShu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:46:59 am »
Fun :D
Really hard to catch the ship, u need to extend area for mouse cursor
Waiting for release version  :P
Good luck with ur project

Peteck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:08 pm »
Sitting here and hitting the wormhole like 10 times, but nothing happens. I then look at your description which then explain my frustration why nothing happens when hitting it  ;D

But fun anyways  :)

Jycerian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 01:45:43 pm »
Fun :D
Really hard to catch the ship, u need to extend area for mouse cursor
Waiting for release version  :P
Good luck with ur project

Thanks for the feedback, that was my plan :).
Just fixed this "issue", not in the download below however.

Just implemented some stuff that would let me create orbits easy. Also I now have the capability for body objects to ignore each other in gravity so that the orbits are nice and round.

Note that I do not have timestep/deltatime/elapsedtime implemented so the speed varies if you drop below 60 fps. Still got to fix that :) This project is young.

Check this out:

http://puu.sh/9rAYg/be6814b66a.zip

Note: I know the inner body goes a little bit to fast but hey! it is just the beginning.
PS: I managed to hit the wormhole with these crazy orbits! Can you?!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 02:31:40 pm by Jycerian »

ElysianShadow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 04:24:31 am »
I can imagine this becoming a fun addicting little game  :D any plans on releasing the source code to it? I'm interesting in looking at it  :)

Mutoh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 10:29:50 am »
Ha, neat concept! Though I've seen it before, I'll still compliment on your originality, mainly in regards to the artistic style on how it's so simplistic and effective, reflects well the gameplay.

Did you think about making it so that the player can see what was his last move? Sort of like in Angry Birds, where your last shot is represented by an arc showing how it went. You could make a "hard mode" button that disables it. I just found the first demo kind of frustrating without it, but I eventually made it into the small square in both versions. ;D

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 02:19:15 pm »
Really fun game, although a bit unforgiving :D I like the clean and minimalistic style. Keep up the good work!

Jycerian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 11:09:02 pm »
I can imagine this becoming a fun addicting little game  :D any plans on releasing the source code to it? I'm interesting in looking at it  :)

Thanks! At the moment I am pretty newbie but yeah when it is done I release the source code. I had a pretty hard time (and still do sort of) starting with sfml and c++ so I can imagine that some source code will be pretty helpful for those interested.

Ha, neat concept! Though I've seen it before, I'll still compliment on your originality, mainly in regards to the artistic style on how it's so simplistic and effective, reflects well the gameplay.

Did you think about making it so that the player can see what was his last move? Sort of like in Angry Birds, where your last shot is represented by an arc showing how it went. You could make a "hard mode" button that disables it. I just found the first demo kind of frustrating without it, but I eventually made it into the small square in both versions. ;D

Thanks for the compliment :) Yeah I plan on making some sort of path which the player has traveled but your idea of showing the last try is a good idea. It is a good sign you did not stop playing even though you were frustrated haha! very nice.

Really fun game, although a bit unforgiving :D I like the clean and minimalistic style. Keep up the good work!

Thanks man! this is only 1-2 days of work so it is not close to being finished. I could probably fix/change the unforgiving thing with the idea posted above you hihi.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Suggestions are always helpful.

Jycerian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 01:27:19 pm »
Download: http://puu.sh/aMnU2/ef533dfe80.rar

This is the menu, most of the text is placeholder and the menu slides left and right:

The game, dont look at the art not sure what direction to go (menu or in-game art style)

Game Over:

Let me know what you guys think, still need to do a lot more on the level design and create art and decide what music direction to go to!

-Jycerian

Codespear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 02:38:59 pm »
Cool concept. Even without sound it is quite fun to play.
I like it just the way it is; but I'll make a small suggestion for you to consider.  What about starting the rubber line wherever I push LMB, not requiring me to drag it from the launcher every time. I am not sure if this will be better, but it may be worth a try.

anything