Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RoD: My first attempt at a roguelike!!  (Read 2954 times)

xilluzionsx

• View Profile
RoD: My first attempt at a roguelike!!
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:19 pm »
Hello to all! I am really excited to show my progress with you all and hopefully get your thoughts about everything I am doing. I am new to game development, like most, and I would appreciate it if you guys could help me along the way with this project. So that's been said, onward to the game!

The game is called "Realm of Darkness" (RoD) and I want to make it a roguelike.  I am also creating all the art, with the inspiration of a tile set I found online. My roadmap is to have the foundation of a roguelike at first, and then to add more features. As of right now, I have a menu screen that fades in and plays music. Not much, but still working on it.

The next item I want to do is create a "Play" button and a "Quit" button on the menu screen. Then link the "Play" button to start the game. This is where I need some help.

Could some of you guys suggest me some ideas on how to make this button? I have thought about using a sprite and using the mouse to check if clicked within the area of the sprite to activate the button. Any thoughts?

The first image is the main menu screen, and the second image is my sprite sheet I will use. There is also a mockup level with all the sprites in use.

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
Re: RoD: My first attempt at a roguelike!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:45 am »
The next item I want to do is create a "Play" button and a "Quit" button on the menu screen. Then link the "Play" button to start the game. This is where I need some help.

Could some of you guys suggest me some ideas on how to make this button? I have thought about using a sprite and using the mouse to check if clicked within the area of the sprite to activate the button. Any thoughts?
What you described is pretty much the simplest way to implement it.

You can also create a special Mouse Event Handler to which you will register the callbacks of each button for hovered and clicked states, along with its FloatRect from the texture. Then, every time a mouse event occurs (polled from the RenderWindow), the handler will iterate through all the registered buttons (in this case, just their rects) and based on whether the mouse coordinates are only contained within the rect or if the mouse button is pressed too, an appropriate callback will be called.

Cirrus Minor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:46:21 am »
Welcome xilluzionsx.
Great ! A roguelike !
Do you plan to have a "classic" UI (with a lot of keys) or a mouse-based UI (with drag'n'drop on inventory screen, etc...) ?
And do you know the libtcod library ? Very useful for RL games, with algorithms for field of vision, path-finding...

BaneTrapper

• Do you even see this, i dont need it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »
That is a mighty screen shot, who made it?
BaneTrapperDev@hotmail.com Programing, Coding
Projects: Not in development(unfinished/playable):
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=11073.msg76266#msg76266
UP and in Development: The Wanderer - Lost in time
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=14563.0

xilluzionsx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:30:27 pm »
@xornand
OK awesome thanks for confirming it buddy!

@Cirrus Minor
I do want the mouse interface. Trying to make it more user friendly haha.and Yea I have seen them and I have used it before in a test project. But I really want to tackle these problems myself. Have that sense of pride that I made that code lol. But thanks for the suggestion. I love that library for a real classic rougelike.

@BaneTrapper
Which image? The main menu is just a regular image I found on Google and then I put it through a pixelation morph.

The other image I drew but had a lot of inspiration of another tileset I found online.

-------------------

I have been busy these few days but I have more of a tileset for my name. Im on my phone but I will post it up soon for you all to critique!! Also I hope I can get my menu up and running by this weekend.

anything