Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: a rummy game  (Read 4417 times)

mihaineken

• View Profile
    • Email
a rummy game
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:53 pm »
how much does a game of rummy cost, whrited with sfml ?
can anyone estimate ?

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: a rummy game
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:53:05 am »
Are you asking how much it would cost for someone to make you a rummy game in SFML?   ???
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

mihaineken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 06:02:28 am »
Are you asking how much it would cost for someone to make you a rummy game in SFML?   ???

Yes !

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:44:13 am »
Why do you ask?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

mihaineken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »
Because i what one and i don't have time to create it.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: a rummy game
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:36 pm »
It largely depends on what you want as final product.
Though I wonder, why don't you choose an existing Rummy game, or are you trying to tell us no one ever made one? :D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:15:38 pm »
how much does a game of rummy cost, whrited with sfml ?

Probably more than you'd want to pay. But let's play with the thought, just for fun.

You could probably get someone to hack something together in a handful of days for a couple hundred dollars, but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't be the game you wanted.

Let's take a look at what you are asking.

Let's say you just want the basic rules as outlined by http://www.pagat.com/rummy/rummy.html , not any variations or anything - just the basics to keep it simple.
You probably also want to support at least 4 players in networked play - let's just say on a LAN, not anything fancy like internet play with game servers, lobby etc, just 2-4 friends playing on the local LAN.
You want to keep track of peoples scores, so we need to keep track of a simple highscore for players.
You don't want programmer graphics, you want the game to look good with graphics from a professional artist.
You want some basic sound effects - like a "swoosh" sound when a card is dealt etc etc. Not much, just a few sounds to give it a bit of atmosphere. We can probably leave out background music.
You probably want the game to run on Windows, but if your friends can use Mac OS X or Linux to play as well that would be nice. No mobile devices.
You naturally want proper installers for the supported platforms.
You want a professional looking and well working game that's polished and of a quality where people would want to pay for it.

If I was to make a very very quick and very very rough estimate of the above it would look something like this:

Implementing the basic game rules/mechanics, GUI, menu, highscore, etc etc. Testing it, bug fixing it, polishing it and so on would probably be something like 2-3 weeks (a week being 5 days of 8hours).
The network play side of things would probably take a couple of weeks as well to get perfect.
Then there's work integrating the graphics we source from an artist. The sounds we get from a musician, creating installers + all the little unexpected things that always crop up. Let's say that's a week as well.
So a rough estimate would be something like 5-6 weeks for the code side of things (and I actually think that's potting it quite low if you really want a good final product - I think I may be vastly underestimating the time, but let's go with this for the sake of the example).

6 weeks is 240 hours. If I was to do the work, my rate would be ~$80/hr, which puts this part at $19200.

We'd need to source some graphics from an artist, who would probably charge about the same as I would and would probably spend at least a couple of days creating the graphics. Let's say 3 days (24 hours) again at ~$80/hr. That's just about $2000 which seems reasonable but is probably a bit too low - but it's a game with fairly simple graphics needs after all.

We don't need much in the way of sound effects, just a few sound and they are all short. Let's budget $500 for those and hope it is enough.

Then there may be other costs like, if you were asking me to do the job I have easy access to Linux, but not Windows and OS X. For Windows I could probably get by with a virtual machine, but I'd need to at least buy a Windows license which would be somewhere in the area of $200. For OS X I'd need to buy a cheap Mac Mini which would cost me something like $1000 - naturally I'd bill these costs to you since they are part of the project.

So, let's sum up:

Development:  ~$19200
  Graphics: ~$2000
  Sound: ~500
  Hardware/Software: $1200
  -----
  Total: ~$22900

Which means that I'd probably give you an initial offer somewhere in the $25000 - $30000 range if this was not just for fun.
At that price you'd of course own all rights to the game including the source code etc.
If all you wanted was a copy of the final result + free copies of all future versions and I retained the rights to the software and could sell it on my own as well, then we could talk about discounts.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:40:42 pm by Jesper Juhl »

mihaineken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »
OMG for that amount of money i quit my job and start programming for real.
 :) for me, that sum is astronomical.

mihaineken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 10:28:44 pm »
Thank you all for your answers.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:30:08 pm »
Well, if I was to spend a month and a half on the project. Pay taxes (which in Denmark is roughly 50% (actually a bit more for high incomes)), pay my rent, feed my family, make a bit of profit etc etc. Then all of a sudden that amount isn't so unreasonable any more.

Your main problem if you wanted to hire me for such a job is that you have to compete with what I earn with my regular job. I made the above example as if it was a real consulting gig and not just a hobby project.

And if you didn't want something super polished / commercial grade, then it could probably be done in a lot less time.

But of course then there's the question of whether I'd do it as a side project besides my regular work just because it could be fun. And I might want to do that and then the price would of course be quite different :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:50:35 pm by Jesper Juhl »

anything