Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Marvin - A Desktop Platformer  (Read 10097 times)

tylersandman

• View Profile
Marvin - A Desktop Platformer
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:02:10 am »
Hi all, for the past few months I've been working on a desktop platformer using SFML and Box2D and I've finally got a playable version ready for playing/testing.

About
Play as the adorable alien Marvin, exploring many different levels and collecting gems to get rich (or die trying). Don't let the friendly looking graphics fool you, Marvin is unforgiving with no checkpoints and features challenging gameplay. I actually got a lot of inspiration from Super Meat Boy.

Read more, and download it here:
http://tylersandman.github.io/marvin/

I would absolutely love any feedback (constructive or not). The game is not finished and I'm looking for suggestions, improvements, and of course bugs to fix! Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:12:38 pm by tylersandman »

p5ych0

Re: Marvin - A Desktop Platformer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:54:37 am »
I get the following application error when attempting run the .exe:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

Are there any prerequisites?

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:34:44 am »
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

It ran just fine for me, but that doesn't mean there aren't any that tylersandman is aware of.

I ran the 32 bit version.
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

Xafi

• My project, http://1ndieidea.hol.es/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:40 am »

Same! 64b

Geheim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:34:05 pm »
This picture sums up some things for me:
(click to show/hide)

Enable vSync or a frametime limit, also when changing the options :)

As for the lines, I am not sure what causes that, because I have them with my own projects too...
I have the latest SFML version and graphics driver version, sooo does anyone else have this problem?

The 64 bit version results to the above said error, too.

Also saving the progress would be nice ;)
Failing to succeed does not mean failing to progress!

tylersandman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:59:04 pm »

That's odd. It was compiled using Visual Studio so I'm not sure if that requires any prerequisites.

This picture sums up some things for me:
(click to show/hide)

Enable vSync or a frametime limit, also when changing the options :)

As for the lines, I am not sure what causes that, because I have them with my own projects too...
I have the latest SFML version and graphics driver version, sooo does anyone else have this problem?

The 64 bit version results to the above said error, too.

Also saving the progress would be nice ;)

I did enable vertical sync, but no framerate limit. I'm not sure about the lines too, I never get them but some people do. The only difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are the openal dlls. Also, it should save progress everytime you exit the program properly and complete a level. I used boost serialization to save and load game data to a save.bin file.

I'm not sure what's going on with some of the errors, like I said there may be prerequisites I'm not aware of. Thank you for letting me know!

EDIT: So it turns out I was trying to use a 32-bit build of SFML to compile a 64-bit .exe. I'm assuming that's why the 64-bit version is giving so many people trouble. I'm taking down the 64-bit download for now as the 32-bit version seems to be working fine for most people I've talked to. I also changed serialization (game saving) from binary to plain text so it's more portable.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:30:05 pm by tylersandman »

ElysianShadow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:09:37 am »
Doesn't seem to work for me. As soon as I pick the first level, it freezes at the loading screen :(

p5ych0

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:24:19 am »
Downloaded the 32 bit version and it works! Pretty fun and difficult little game you have here.  :)

tylersandman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 01:02:44 am »
Doesn't seem to work for me. As soon as I pick the first level, it freezes at the loading screen :(

That's odd. Can you provide more information maybe? Does it give you an error message? Where exactly in the loading screen does it freeze?

Downloaded the 32 bit version and it works! Pretty fun and difficult little game you have here.  :)

Thank you very much for the feedback!

ElysianShadow

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 01:08:29 am »

That's odd. Can you provide more information maybe? Does it give you an error message? Where exactly in the loading screen does it freeze?

No error message or anything, it just says the program isn't responding and then I have to force close it through task manager. In the console, it seems that the level is getting loaded fine but the screen just stays stuck at the loading screen. And it's the loading screen right after picking the very first level.

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:02:47 pm »
Nifty. Good work.

tylersandman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:08 pm »

No error message or anything, it just says the program isn't responding and then I have to force close it through task manager. In the console, it seems that the level is getting loaded fine but the screen just stays stuck at the loading screen. And it's the loading screen right after picking the very first level.

Hmm. Maybe it's a problem with the textures. If I'm not mistaken some GPUs can only load up to a certain size of texture. My spritesheets may be too large, not sure.

Nifty. Good work.

Thanks! Any suggestions or thoughts?

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 04:55:14 pm »
The GitHub.io link doesn't work anymore. :-\
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

tylersandman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »
The GitHub.io link doesn't work anymore. :-\

Sorry about that, changed my repo name and forgot to update this link! It should work now.

Clockwork

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 01:00:43 am »
Just an observation/opinion.

I think the ground on the menu screen is moving a bit too fast, I noticed that it looks like it's flickering instead of moving, so you may want to slow that down a bit just for aesthetic purposes.

Either way the game is really fun!  I was impressed at the graphics, did you make the art or did somebody else, because they're fantastic.