Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Asteroids (My first experience with SFML)  (Read 3113 times)

Bloob

• View Profile
Asteroids (My first experience with SFML)
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:49:18 am »
I've been learning C++ for about two years now but I really didn't like learning all the in and outs of DirectX so I decided to give SFML a go. In short I love SFML and if your on the edge of deciding what graphics library to use, here's an example of what you can create within a few days. Enjoy my attempt at recreating a retro game i never really played before :P

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k8mcqxy2gukiuay/AADa3mw9AAzkrSFcWpNAsqKSa

whitebeard86

• Gibbo2D Engine Founder
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
    • Email
Re: Asteroids (My first experience with SFML)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:29:15 am »
Seems good.  :)

I just don't like the movement with the WASD keys because they are not relative to the ship direction (I'm not sure if that's how it works in the original version but I don't like it).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:31:21 am by whitebeard86 »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you shared yours, and I shared mine.

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:03:51 pm »
I can't remember what the original was like either, but what I did is have the ship rotate to the mouse, and have left click shoot, and right click throttle. Kind of fun to play with just the mouse.

Not very original, but, still fun.

Bloob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 03:03:23 pm »
Seems good.  :)

I just don't like the movement with the WASD keys because they are not relative to the ship direction (I'm not sure if that's how it works in the original version but I don't like it).

I made it so that if you press F1 it switches between the two. I believe the original was the ship it could only move in the direction it was rotated. My friends requested it so i threw it in real fast. The problem is that if you press 'A' and 'W' at the same time you actually move twice as fast.

Not very original, but, still fun.

I'll attempt to create something original when I finish learning the in outs of SFML. Problem is that I'm not a very good artist. :P

anything