Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Screen not drawing on some computers?  (Read 2327 times)

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
Screen not drawing on some computers?
« on: September 10, 2014, 04:02:37 pm »
Hello,

I seem to have some problems getting my games to work on some peoples computers, it's very hard to tell what is the problem, but they get an empty window(with only a backgroundcolor specified in the code) and music, but nothing is drawn on screen!

I've tried making installers in Visual Studio and it worked at least 2 times where I was able to try it with friends computers that had the problem.

Could this just be some problem with some redist that needs installing? I am sorry for being so vague. If you want to try this is the latest thing I did: DOWNLOAD

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
Re: Screen not drawing on some computers?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 05:21:57 pm »
The game works perfectly fine for me (that is, all the graphics is shown properly). Perhaps it's an issue with your friends' computers? It seems that you're not including any redistributables with the game but if their computers didn't complain, I don't think it's an issue.

By the way, I like the graphics style of the game. Was it perhaps influenced in some way by The Binding of Isaac?

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 05:48:58 pm »
Works on Fedora 20 via wine with no problems, it's hard to tell more without source code of the game (or code with same problem if you don't want to give your game's code out).
Also - you're competing with Edmund McMillen for the grossness of the game, I personally don't mind for the most part but some people might be very upset if they run into stuff like that without any warning so please put some.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 07:02:38 pm »
Works fine here, Windows 8.1. Intel/Nvidia system.

lerio

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:05:07 pm »
it's working very nice here, and hey, i loved it. The art reminds me of isaac too, but you made a very original gameplay, it was very fun.

rooski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:08:03 pm »
tried it on my desktop and laptop , both worked just fine. maybe some info on his OS and hardware will help.

Ditto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:47:00 pm »
Thanks bunch for trying it! For the BoI influence, yes, a lot of that. lol

The game is for Ludum Dare so all the code is available there: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=14669 just hit the "vs10 src" link and you can download the whole visual studio project.

Now comes the problem, I've seen it played on 2 identical computers and one worked and one didn't, so I'm guessing it's something to do with software.. I'm really bad at dependencies and stuff, what is needed to run a game made in SFML?

Thanks again for trying it and giving me some hope that maybe this problem is rare enough to ignore, haha :D

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:00 am »
Now comes the problem, I've seen it played on 2 identical computers and one worked and one didn't, so I'm guessing it's something to do with software.. I'm really bad at dependencies and stuff, what is needed to run a game made in SFML?
SFML doesn't use runtime linking so - if it launches, it has to work.
The fact it differs on identical computers really hints at GPU driver issue.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

anything