Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Feedback on tutorials  (Read 5465 times)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Feedback on tutorials
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:03:57 pm »
As some might have noticed, we're getting closer and closer to SFML 2.2.
But releasing SFML 2.2 isn't just about tagging it in the Git repository, there are more "administrative" things that need to be taken care of as well. On of them is reviewing and updating the current tutorials.

Since the tutorials are written for the user base, it's crucial to hear your feedback. Are there parts which can't are hard to comprehend? Do you think something could be improved a lot? Do you miss something very important? Etc.

Before you start posting: No, we won't add generic tutorials on how to do X or Y! The SFML tutorials are about the usage of the library and not how to program a game/application/etc.! Any comments in that direction will get moderated!

I'll try to keep the list here updated, so check here first if you want to suggest something, maybe it has already been mentioned.
  • Fix: Extend tutorial with the new Blend Modes
  • Fix: Explanation on how to link statically (at least on Windows).
  • Missing: "getting started" tutorials for iOs and Android, more generic tutorial on mobile development.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:30:31 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Feedback on tutorials
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:07:20 pm »
Missing: "getting started" tutorials for iOs and Android, more generic tutorial on mobile development.

Missing: Tutorial about sf::Window::requestFocus() and sf::Window::hasFocus()
We don't need a complete tutorial for these two functions. I don't think it needs to be explained in a tutorial at all, the API documentation is enough. Tutorials are supposed to teach "big" parts, they are not focused on specific functions.

Fix: Explanation on how to link statically on Windows.
Why just Windows?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »
Fix: Explanation on how to link statically on Windows.
Why just Windows?
Because if you really want to static link on the other platforms, chances are, you already know how to do it without referring to a guide ;).
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »
Because if you really want to static link on the other platforms, chances are, you already know how to do it without referring to a guide
The explanations are the same, so why would we make it specific to a particular OS?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:21:22 pm »
It might be nice to have for the people that only use Windows, but want to make their application available on Linux, and want to static link. There's been a few of those posts from people (new to Linux) with that goal on the forums.

I know my word isn't worth much, but I'm with Laurent on this, might as well go all the way than just part of the way. SFML is very good with it's documentation being pretty all-encompassing. It'd be good to keep it that way.

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:22:14 pm »
The explanations are the same, so why would we make it specific to a particular OS?
I guess we had varying degrees of "hand holding" in mind ::). If the guide could be written in a platform-agnostic way, that would indeed be better. But beginners might have problems following it if it isn't specially tailored to their development environment like the other Getting Started tutorials currently are.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Feedback on tutorials
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:26:38 pm »
So much tension...
I marked it as Windows specific, since the behavior only changed on Windows. One can of course generalize it! :D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
Unless it gets fixed, a note in the network documentation that it doesn't handle short writes and is essentially broken, would be good.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:27 pm »
There are a few minor things like spelling errors here and there that I have spotted in the tutorials (and keep forgetting to mention them). If I remember where they all are, I'll let you know. Would this thread be the right place for that?
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*