Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Short n Sweet 2D Space Shooter Action  (Read 16174 times)

RixCoder

• View Profile
Short n Sweet 2D Space Shooter Action
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:30:47 am »
This was a team project put together from individuals from the IGDA scene here in New York City! It has around 13 days of total work put into it and is the first project I have ever used SFML in and I gotta say, SFML has been an utter joy to work with so far. I look forward to using it on our next project currently in the works!

Enough jibber-jabber! You can get the game HERE!

EDIT:
Grab the full sloppy source at:
My Website

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:40:29 am »
Nice little game but it's hard to play on AZERTY keyboard. =p (Yeah i'm french!), don't tell me about the Shift + Alt, don't work.

If I was able to do so nice PostFX effects... =) (love the deflagration wave when the ship explode!)

How many are you working in the team? For a 13 day work, it's pretty well done. :p

RixCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:43:59 am »
5 people total, 3 coders ( myself included ) and an artist/audio guy

The initial base of the game was setup fairly quick due to the fact i made a sort of bare bones version of the game ( ship moved and shot and that was about it ). I wanted to make sure before I worked with the others that I had some familiarity with SFML. Once we started I stripped out all the work i did till I had just the base structure of it and we worked from there. That probably shaved off 2 days or so of work.

Also: just let me know what the wasd equivalent is and maybe i can toss them in there for the next version!

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:47:05 am »
WASD = ZQSD for AZERTY Keyboards. Switch the W with Z and the A with Q. =p

RixCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:53:22 am »
Tomorrow ill have the changes in for you =)

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 02:00:43 am »
Thanks! =D

LGV

• MSN Messenger - laureano_river@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 03:05:45 am »
Awesome game!! The graphics are so beautiful, for a moment I tought you were using 3D models for the aircrafts  :shock:, you artist it's great. The effects are very nice too, I wish I can do something like that!! Congratulations!!  :)
P.S: maybe you can use lua or some parser like tinyxml to avoid hard-code the controls? That would be great for people who doesn't use QWERTY keyboards (not my case) like spidy  :)

RixCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 03:37:31 am »
yeah that would be a good idea, also the artist actually was more comfortable making 3D models than sprites so he actually modeled them first and turned them into sprite sheets

RixCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 09:41:43 pm »
Latest build is up! included are some basic options to change volume of sounds and music, spacebar now selects and shoots on top of previous keys.

Also added local high scores listing as well as cleaned up assets folder of a lot of un-used assets which kicked the size down to about 16 megs. After 10 kills you get the upgraded double shot. Also made death animations much quicker for the enemies and toned down the particle effects slightly.

Also added azerty keyboard control support ;)

Let me know what you guys think! ( The download link on the original post is linked to the latest build )

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 10:04:14 pm »
Your ZQSD control works, my gamepad too, but... Where are all those cool effects? :(

Why do you use .psd file instead png or other compressed file? The quality does not decrease too much and it is MUCH lighter. :p

RixCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 10:43:11 pm »
woops forgot the postfx files! also, the use of .psd wasn't my decision! was done for an issue of losing alpha channel between the guy handling the implementation of assets and the artist.

Should be up there now!

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 02:10:56 am »
Is it possible to get a build compatible with Linux?

Spidyy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 02:26:02 am »
Yaaaar better with effects. =) One things, when I play with joystick, I can't quit by pressing fire butting on "Exit" on the menu. =p

Looks like a good little promising game. :D

Imbue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 03:03:24 am »
I get this error with a fairly clean install of Vista x64. Any ideas?

RixCoder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 03:18:21 am »
yeah the joystick stuff never got quite finished, we are kind of wrapping up the project since it was a testbed for using sfml and an entry point for a bunch of of people on the team into game programming.

We are gonna start working on another project soon which of course will be up here as we are working on it. Its gonna be a little bit more ambitious as well. I'm gonna be keeping track of the builds across mac and linux hopefully and making sure things are working properly across platforms.

I personally have no means of doing a linux build atm but if you want the source you can email me at stefan@rixcode.com and I can send it off for you to try and build if you want.

Also, swapped zip file with an installer. Let me know what you guys think =)

anything