Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Android] Call for help building dependecies  (Read 4169 times)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
[Android] Call for help building dependecies
« on: December 22, 2014, 11:04:54 pm »
Hi,

We're currently working on having a working audio module that doesn't use libsndfile for license reason (cannot statically link therefore cannot work on iOS). As mentioned in the related issue description, this will also allow us to have plugins and let you extend the format to other kinds, such as MP3, etc...

However, we're currently lacking binaries of ogg, vorbis, vorbisfile, vorbisenc and flac for Android. (Windows binaries are on their way.)

Are there there any Android users who want to chip in and provide those files?   :D

SFML / OS X developer

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: [Android] Call for help building dependecies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:02:30 am »
I think I can help. But in january, there are will be the holidays in Russia.
armv5, armv7, x86 and mips? 64 bits? arm64-v8? thumb? hard-float/soft-float? What target archs do you need exactly?
And, please, post here the links for sources.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:12:50 am by ChronicRat »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 10:13:36 am »
Great!  :)

We're using those versions:
 - http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/ogg/libogg-1.3.2.tar.xz
 - http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis/libvorbis-1.3.4.tar.xz
 - https://svn.xiph.org/releases/flac/flac-1.3.0.tar.xz

Regarding the archs, I honestly don't know. What does Android user usually run on?

From Sonkun work, I see that armv7, arm, mips and x86 are supported but maybe it is interesting to extends the set of arch?
SFML / OS X developer

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 10:46:38 am »
Regarding the archs, I honestly don't know. What does Android user usually run on?

From Sonkun work, I see that armv7, arm, mips and x86 are supported but maybe it is interesting to extends the set of arch?
I use armv7 only, there is very small part of devices that do not support it. What is MIPS? I don't know! =)
Well, I think to not to think and just take the list of architectures from  the NDK's stl directory, so there are:
  • arm64-v8a
  • armeabi (and thumb)
  • armeabi-v7a (and thumb)
  • armeabi-v7a-hard float (and thumb)
  • mips
  • mips64
  • x86
  • x86_64
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:13:10 am by ChronicRat »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:50:00 am »
Keep in mind that I'm a noob when it comes to Android when reading what follows.  :P

According to https://github.com/SFML/SFML/wiki/Tutorial%3A-Building-SFML-for-Android only armeabi , armeabi-v7a, mips, and x86 are supported. Would including more archs mean that the CMake script (and/or Android.mk) needs to be updated as well?

I suppose it would also mean we should provide binaries of freetype, libjpeg and openal for those new archs. (We'll probably update those dependencies in a near future too.)

If armv7 is really widespread, is it worth spending so much (of your) time on other archs? (I'm just wondering what the usage tendency is.)
SFML / OS X developer

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:59:16 am »
Well, I'm a noob too, m.b. a little bit more experienced. =) There are no big problem to build all these targets and then to include to SFML only that needed. I don't like CMake and I don't know it enough to create scripts, I'll create stand-alone .mk files to build libraries.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »
Ah, completely missed this topic. :)

Compiling the dependencies is rather buggy (and one source code mirror down atm), but I somehow managed to get some results.

I've added the precompiled binaries to this branch, but couldn't test them so far since the rework is still incomplete and my local copy crashes right now.