Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to organize my audio system  (Read 3338 times)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] How to organize my audio system
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:59:41 am »
Hi, I just read the tutorial and api documentation for the audio module: It sounds awesome! ;) I plan to introduce an audio system to my game, which is already using SFML. But I wonder how to organize the system itself. I'm going to build an entity-component-based topdown dungeoncrawler. So my physics system holds physics-related data, such as position, face direction etc. My render system holds the corresponding sprites and lights per object.

I'd design my audio system in order to allow playing two instances of sf::Music: One as music itself and one as ambience track. So holding two instances and calling openFromFile() and play etc. would be the best solution. But I wonder how to organize entity sounds. Of course all sf::SoundBuffer instances should be cached to avoid double loading etc. My caching also guarantees that the buffer will be valid until the game session is closed.

For instance: An entity might cast a fireball, so a fireball-ish sound could be played when the fireball is created and starts flying towards its target. But what's the most suitable way to organize those sounds? After reading about sf::Listener, I'd also like to spatialize entity-related sounds.

Because the number of parallel sounds is limited, storing a sf::Sound per entity wouldn't be that great. So I think of a pool of reusable sounds: When a sound effect is triggered (e.g. with parameters sfx-name, entity position and other spatilization details) it might work that way:
  • Grab the next (yet unused) sf::Sound.
  • Grab the sf::SoundBuffer from the cache and apply it
  • Setup sound position and other spatialization details.
  • Finally play it

Would this be suitable? If yes, here's my next question :D
How to organize that pool? Having a set of (let's say 50) instances of sf::Sound inside a std::vector, beeing preinitialized at the system's startup. Searching for a "free spot" (where the sound is currently not playing) would lead to linear search and O(n). Well, depending on n, it might be fast. But is that a good solution? Previously, I was working with SDL. If I remember correctly there is an opportunity to specify a callback, which is called when the sound stops. I didn't find something similar in the API docs... Is there such a solution?

And yet another question: If no free spot can be found, because there are many sounds currently played... How to handle this? The "intuitive" solution might be to stop the sound which was played first, but that would imply sorting the sounds by the order of playback. Another solution would be to ignore the sound (or even throw an exception). I don't like this solution :-[
Or: Is that situation utopy or even/ bad design?

/EDIT: And the final question: If working with spatialized audio... I'd set the listener position to the player's position. But what if multiple players share one screen (doesn't matter whether splitted or shared)... I could calculate the bary point of those players and set the listener position to that bary point. But this would lead to wrong results if the players are too far away from each other. Can spatialization be applied to such situations?

Kind regards
Glocke
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:32:29 am by Glocke »
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: [Newbie Question] How to organize my audio system
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:12:20 am »
Would this be suitable?
Yes.

Searching for a "free spot" (where the sound is currently not playing) would lead to linear search and O(n). Well, depending on n, it might be fast.
It will be fast. The maximum number of sound instances is around 1024, which is ridiculously tiny for such a search. Don't overthink this part of the algorithm.

Previously, I was working with SDL. If I remember correctly there is an opportunity to specify a callback, which is called when the sound stops. I didn't find something similar in the API docs... Is there such a solution?
No. I'd really like to have such a callback, but OpenAL doesn't provide this feature.

And yet another question: If no free spot can be found, because there are many sounds currently played... How to handle this? The "intuitive" solution might be to stop the sound which was played first, but that would imply sorting the sounds by the order of playback. Another solution would be to ignore the sound (or even throw an exception). I don't like this solution :-[
Or: Is that situation utopy or even/ bad design?
Whatever you do will be fine, because 1024 sounds playing at the same time would most likely result in a giant mess in the player's speakers ;) So no matter which sound you choose to ignore, I doubt it will make a difference.

And the final question: If working with spatialized audio... I'd set the listener position to the player's position. But what if multiple players share one screen (doesn't matter whether splitted or shared)... I could calculate the bary point of those players and set the listener position to that bary point. But this would lead to wrong results if the players are too far away from each other. Can spatialization be applied to such situations?
This is something you have to figure out depending on what result you want. I don't know how games usually handle this situation, but intuitively the most common solution should be to merge the audio output of all players. Which means one listener per player, but SFML doesn't allow it (I think it is possible with OpenAL, using multiple contexts). So you'll have to find another solution.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:22:47 am »
It will be fast. The maximum number of sound instances is around 1024, which is ridiculously tiny for such a search. Don't overthink this part of the algorithm.
Hmm, sometimes I hate having knowledge about asymptotic runtime analysis... sometimes it limitates my mind xD Thanks for the reminder :)

would most likely result in a giant mess in the player's speakers ;) So no matter which sound you choose to ignore, I doubt it will make a difference.
This also makes sense :D I guess linear search and (eventually) stop and reuse the first sound, would be the easiest ;D

This is something you have to figure out depending on what result you want. I don't know how games usually handle this situation, but intuitively the most common solution should be to merge the audio output of all players. Which means one listener per player, but SFML doesn't allow it (I think it is possible with OpenAL, using multiple contexts). So you'll have to find another solution.
Merging sounds interesting! Is there a reason why SFML doesn't support multiple listeners at the moment?

Kind regards

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:25:54 am »
Is there a reason why SFML doesn't support multiple listeners at the moment?
It would complicate the API a lot, for what seems like a rare use case. But why not... if someone wants to investigate such a feature.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 11:32:14 am »
It would complicate the API a lot, for what seems like a rare use case. But why not... if someone wants to investigate such a feature.
I guess you're right :D The current static API seems really great to use, because we don't need to specify each sound-listener relation. I'll try to find a solution for the multiple-players-situation.

Thanks for your response!

Kind regards
Glocke