Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: OpenGL 2.0 ES support?  (Read 1413 times)

msa

• View Profile
OpenGL 2.0 ES support?
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:34:30 pm »
Hi, thanks for the excellent SFML package. We've been using mostly 1.4 / 1.5 with the Python bindings on Linux and found it very useful. We are planning to create applications for an OpenGL 2.0 Embedded Systems device, and wondering whether SFML will support OpenGL 2.0 ES or not, and if we can help in that regard?

Looking at the SFML 2.0 branch, there seems to be a VBO-based renderer which does not use glBegin/glEnd. Those calls are not allowed in OpenGL 2.0 ES, if my understanding is correct.

However, RenderQueue uses glPushMatrix, and I think that would not be allowed?

Admittedly, I have not tried SFML 2.0 yet, as I don't (yet) have an OpenGL 2.0 ES-compliant system at hand. Any thoughts on OpenGL 2.0 ES support would be appreciated, though. We are also ready to write code or test things.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
OpenGL 2.0 ES support?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:38:00 pm »
Hi

An OpenGL ES 2.0 back-end is not planned for now. I'll try to support it in the future, but it requires major changes in the internal code.

I've already improved the code a lot in SFML 2, but it's still not enough to easily support another OpenGL back-end. Actually, the main modification will be to have a full abstraction of the renderer (OGL ES 2 uses VBOs but also shaders, there's no fixed pipeline).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything