Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fedora 21 /dev/input/event*  (Read 2455 times)

johnthesoftware

• View Profile
    • Email
Fedora 21 /dev/input/event*
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:47:10 pm »
Hi

My recent copy of Fedora 21 (Linux localhost.localdomain 3.18.7-200.fc21.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 11 21:53:17 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) refuses to install or load the joydev driver (please don't try to help with this, there's plenty of info on the web and after a day of trying this is another tack).

I'm assuming that this is why my joystick is found at /dev/input/event10 rather than /dev/input/js0.  The joystick is up and working as confirmed by antimicro and jstest. 

My SFML 2.1 libraries don't see the device at this location. Can I change this?

Thanks

John

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Re: Fedora 21 /dev/input/event*
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:47:53 pm »
Have you tried the latest SFML master? Joystick loading/reading has been improved with #838.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

johnthesoftware

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:52:34 pm »
Ok. Downloaded latest zipped Git, built it.

No. Afraid not.

J

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:24 pm »
My SFML 2.1 libraries don't see the device at this location. Can I change this?
This isn't as simple as node files being created at the wrong place, the event10 node is an evdev node which has a completely different interface compared to the standard joystick API node.

You will have to get joydev working. SFML doesn't support the evdev API (yet). There is still plenty of software out there that still relies on the joystick API as well, so trying to solve the joydev problem a bit more might be the best option.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

johnthesoftware

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:32:06 am »
You wouldn't believe how difficult it's been to get joydev going.  For some reason, although the necessary packages install correctly, the files just aren't present.  This appears to a feature unique to my 64 bit laptop as no one else seems to have the same problem. I might have to rebuild the kernel with joydev explicitly included. Epiphany....

I won't bore you with this further. I guessed that it might be the case that evdev wasn't supported but it could have been the line of
least resistance.  At least I now know what to concentrate on.

As I seem to be unable to register with the fedora forums (its been 24 hours with no response), I'll report back here when (if) I get a result.

Thanks.

johnthesoftware

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:04:08 am »
Solved.

This has nothing to do with SFML but it's the only dialogue on the web regarding this problem so it's better here than nowhere.

As usual, my cockup. Using yum update had resulted in an unstartable X server so I'd reverted to a previous, working, boot in grub.  When I then installed what I thought were the necessary packages yum installed stuff for the later kernel which I was now not running.  Fixing the broken boot kernel (an nvidia driver problem) solved the problem.

Thanks for your indirect help which concentrated my thoughts.

J

anything