Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Luman: a Life&Dev game!  (Read 4205 times)

Life&Dev Games Australia

• View Profile
    • Email
Luman: a Life&Dev game!
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:12:58 am »
Good day everyone! We're working on an SFML game called Luman! Please check out the video (link below) and tell us what you think.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpoHQ3QkKI
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:14:30 am by Life&Dev Games Australia »

Life&Dev Games Australia

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Luman: a Life&Dev game!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 07:14:05 am »
Here's some more screenshots:

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Luman: a Life&Dev game!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:40:19 am »
Looks nice! Do you have more info on the gameplag itself?

I remember having seen this project somewhere before, just don't know where. :D

Edit: Ah well you've already once made a post about the project and I subbed to your YouTube channel.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:41:20 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Life&Dev Games Australia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 02:42:52 pm »
Ah, thanks eXpl0it3r! ;D

The gameplay is a medium-to-fast paced. We're adding dynamic-light effects soon (we have to, he's a light-bulb!) and the light will play a big role in the game. Light orbs (see concept attached) can be collected to increase your lumosity, which will give you some defense when hitting walls or being hit. There will also be powerups, for example red orbs will accelerate you in the direction you're moving while blue orbs will give you an additional air-jump, etc. Luman can also break, of course (he's fragile and made out of glass) and this will make the game particularly challenging since you have to avoid hitting walls while getting to your objective point as fast as possible.

The game will have a story and we're actually making cut-scenes for it too. The story is pretty basic and is about Luman trying to save his world (The Glowb) from the villainous Uncandescent: a broken light-bulb with a napoleon-complex causing havoc by breaking others and collecting their glass so that he can melt it down and build the largest bulb ever... the story will have a twist at the end but I'll keep it a secret for now!  ;)

As of last week, we're working on the game full-time and we really hope we can make this game a lot of fun!

I really appreciate your interest in our game, check out our Twitter if you like: (twitter.com/LifeAndDevGames). We'll post most of our updates on there.

Regards,

Rob (Life&Dev Games)

lolz123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:03:55 pm »
You could use LTBL2 for the dynamic lighting  ;) (shameless self-promotion, but it might be helpful to your game).

The art looks nice! Are you using Spine or Spriter for the animations?
Have you heard about the new Cray super computer?  It’s so fast, it executes an infinite loop in 6 seconds.

Life&Dev Games Australia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:49:47 am »
You could use LTBL2 for the dynamic lighting  ;) (shameless self-promotion, but it might be helpful to your game).

The art looks nice! Are you using Spine or Spriter for the animations?

Thanks for the info, but I'm already halfway done with the dynamic lighting anyway. It's just a little bit of math. If I can't manage, I'll take a closer look at LTBL. The animations are sprite-based and made using Illustrator with After Effects. I would have loved programming a spine based system, it's just neat and compact, but we don't really have the time. Our animation files are about 20-40 frames each and they're quite high-res (we want to have zooming in the game), so the loading takes long at the moment. Will make use of multiprocessing which will speed things up a little.

anything