Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads [hiatus]  (Read 440296 times)

shadowmouse

• View Profile
Re:creation - a top down action rpg about undeads
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2015, 07:32:22 pm »
I was going to suggest that, but I thought having position independent from width would make it easier to add tiles as you could just add things at the end of the list with a position that isn't at the bottom of the image.

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2015, 08:50:17 am »
It's hard to know the width of the tileset which would be enough. Sometimes I arrange tiles into large chunks, so then it's easier for me to create levels. Using enums is not possible, as it would require hardcoding.
So I think I'll stick with randomly generated ids for now. :)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2015, 12:52:06 pm »
Using enums is not possible, as it would require hardcoding.
Yes, but only once  :P
Much better than having to re-assigning all the IDs manually and it's pretty lightweight.

Having customised textureRects for each tile seems like overkill for a tileset in a grid but it'll work. The added advantage of this is that you can then start to use irregular tilesets  ;)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2015, 02:53:19 pm »
Yes, but only once  :P
Huh? But I would need to change this enum each time I add new tile type. And then I would need to recompile. Nope!
And I don't plan to have customized textureRects, all I need is (x,y) coordinate, the tile size would stay the same for all tiles.

Much better than having to re-assigning all the IDs manually and it's pretty lightweight.
I would re-assign only those IDs which I would change in the tileset if I use the method which I talked about.

Suppose that level is stored this way:
GGGGGG
GGGGGG
GGRRGG
GGGGGG

G is a grass tile and R is a road tile.
Suppose tileset file looks like this:
x=0,y=0,id=G
x=16,y=0,id=R,

What if I've decided to move grass tile in other place in the tileset, like (32,32)?
All I need to do is replace x and y coordinates in tileset file.
x=32,y=32,id=G
x=16,y=0,id=R,
The level file would not change at all. :)
If I change the width of the tileset, nothing would change in a tileset, all I need to do is add new tile ids in a tileset file.
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2015, 03:31:33 pm »
And I don't plan to have customized textureRects, all I need is (x,y) coordinate, the tile size would stay the same for all tiles.
By customised, I mean that the textureRect's position is customised i.e. out-of-order. In fact, it could be off-grid if the x and y co-ordinates are texture resolution (and it could have a custom size), but I realise now you probably mean that the x and y would be grid positions e.g. x = 6 for the seventh tile on that row.

I would re-assign only those IDs which I would change in the tileset if I use the method which I talked about.
"Re-assigning all the IDs" here meant your original IDs, where you would have to change them all manually.

x=0,y=0,id=G
x=16,y=0,id=R,
This is where the enum could still be used: the "id"; you'd be using an identifier anyway.
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2015, 05:30:39 pm »
By customised, I mean that the textureRect's position is customised i.e. out-of-order. In fact, it could be off-grid if the x and y co-ordinates are texture resolution (and it could have a custom size), but I realise now you probably mean that the x and y would be grid positions e.g. x = 6 for the seventh tile on that row.
I originally thought about having x and y be positions on the texture, but now I realize than this is not necessary, grid positions are all that is needed.

"Re-assigning all the IDs" here meant your original IDs, where you would have to change them all manually.
Well, that's not that hard, I think :)

This is where the enum could still be used: the "id"; you'd be using an identifier anyway.
As I said before, I can't let myself hardcode stuff (there will be lots of tile types, sometimes near hundred or more), creating some file and then creating std::map from it  seems better for me.

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2015, 06:01:01 pm »
Well, that's not that hard, I think :)
I meant changing the the level manually, as was your first concern.

As I said before, I can't let myself hardcode stuff (there will be lots of tile types, sometimes near hundred or more), creating some file and then creating std::map from it  seems better for me.
Fair enough. Enums can get pretty long, pretty quickly  ;D
The consideration with using an std::map is what to use as the key. Would that still just be an integer? A string?
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2015, 08:07:50 am »
I meant changing the the level manually, as was your first concern.
I won't change the level manually, I will change the tileset manually, but maybe I'll write a short program which will let me do this with some cool GUI ;)

Fair enough. Enums can get pretty long, pretty quickly  ;D
The consideration with using an std::map is what to use as the key. Would that still just be an integer? A string?
Enums also make modding harder. People can't create custom tilesets that way, only redraw the existing ones. :)
I think I'll use strings because this would let me assign meaningful ids to some tiles.

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »
Going back to an earlier subject, I remembered that you had a problem with implementing a render texture. Did you fix this? An idea came to me randomly: the views on the render texture and window would need to be controlled individually. Odd views may have caused your vibration. I think that's the problem you were having, right?
If it's not this, or you fixed it anyway, just ignore this post  ;D
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2015, 03:59:40 pm »
Going back to an earlier subject, I remembered that you had a problem with implementing a render texture. Did you fix this? An idea came to me randomly: the views on the render texture and window would need to be controlled individually. Odd views may have caused your vibration. I think that's the problem you were having, right?
If it's not this, or you fixed it anyway, just ignore this post  ;D

I think that the problem I was having is that view's coordinates were not integer during screen shake (I forgot about that when I was trying to fix that). I'll come back to it later. :)

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2015, 08:54:43 am »
Sorry for the lack of updates. Some RL stuff going on + I have lots of other stuff to work on/learn. :)
I'm mostly doing refactoring now and thinking about making some fundamental systems in the game better and more stable.
There's a lot of stuff to do to make game more polished. This is sometimes very hard and boring, but it needs to be done.
And I've almost completed the first article of "Using Lua in practice" series. I hope to release it today or tomorrow.

I'm also learning some OpenGL. What are some books/tutorials would you recommend? (Preferably OpenGL 3.x because my graphics card doesn't support OpenGL 4, heh).

victorlevasseur

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2015, 09:10:00 am »
Here is one I used to learn a bit of modern OpenGL : http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2015, 11:08:32 am »
Here is one I used to learn a bit of modern OpenGL : http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/
Thanks, I've read some articles there and they are pretty good :)

Also, Using Lua and C++ in Practice is out.

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2015, 09:14:28 pm »
I'm also learning some OpenGL. What are some books/tutorials would you recommend? (Preferably OpenGL 3.x because my graphics card doesn't support OpenGL 4, heh).

I'm a fan of https://open.gl/. It even has a guide of setting up an OpenGL context and input handling with SFML (along with SDL and GLFW).

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2015, 07:10:02 am »
I'm a fan of https://open.gl/. It even has a guide of setting up an OpenGL context and input handling with SFML (along with SDL and GLFW).
Thanks, I'll check it out :)