Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads [hiatus]  (Read 440145 times)

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
Re:creation - a top down action rpg about undeads
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2015, 06:18:38 pm »
Here's something another... I've decided to write music for the cafe. Hope you enjoy. :D
https://soundcloud.com/elias-daler/cafe-demo
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

nebula

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2015, 07:50:11 pm »
Sounds nice, but where do you want to loop it? :D

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2015, 08:02:40 pm »
This game is super impressive (and inspirational). When I consider how much I struggle with graphics and sound for my own game (the code I can manage) I almost can't believe you're doing this alone - fscking well done!
My hat comes off for you sir.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:40:45 pm by Jesper Juhl »

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2015, 08:23:56 am »
@nebula, thanks! I want to loop it from the measure when the bass starts to play. This is not the beginning of the song, so I would have to figure out a way to loop songs from the specified time.

@Jesper Juhl, thanks a lot. Very glad that it inspires you, this fact inspires me! :D

Btw, I've decided not to use Zelda's perspective anymore. I'll try to remake cafe in FF/Seiken Dentesu's perspectives and Mother 3 perspective. Will post results later. :)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Mortal

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2015, 09:53:20 am »
i just did quick scan for your older posts and i found that you are making graphic arts and coding but in last posts you're also, making music composing. that indeed impressive. to be honest with you, i can't do that no way, it needs super talent guy like you to accomplish that, ain't me, i'm just average guy who's barely can coding in c++ mostly copy and paste from others. ;D

me too My hat comes off for you sir.

it seems this game is well written and best to learn from. i have question are you going to make this game open source?

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
i just did quick scan for your older posts and i found that you are making graphic arts and coding but in last posts you're also, making music composing. that indeed impressive. to be honest with you, i can't do that no way, it needs super talent guy like you to accomplish that, ain't me, i'm just average guy who's barely can coding in c++ mostly copy and paste from others. ;D

me too My hat comes off for you sir.
Thanks a lot!

Everyone is average (or worse! :D) at one point.
Start with some smaller games (Pong, Tetris, etc.) and read some books on C++. I highly recommend "C++ Primer" by Stanley B. Lippman. Continue working hard and you'll sure become awesome! :D

it seems this game is well written and best to learn from. i have question are you going to make this game open source?
Not sure about all the game being well written, but there are some good parts, at least some working ideas.
I ocassionally post about them in dev log, on my blog or in my tutorials, so you'll understand a lot about my engine if you read this stuff.
There's a possibility that I'll make my game (or at least some part of it, like main components) open source. But to do that, I have to release the game first. I'll see how good the code is when it happens. :)

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2015, 02:14:17 pm »
Okay, here's the biggest change in the art in a long time. I've changed pespective to axonometric 3/4.

Just compare it with the old one:

GIF:

Drawing in this perspective is a lot easier, because all lines are straight. It's also a lot less confusing and more readable!

shadowmouse

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:33 pm »
Are you changing only the inside of buildings, or everything? I'm kind of biased towards the former mode because Zelda games, but I can see why you prefer the new version over the older one.

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2015, 12:56:45 pm »
Are you changing only the inside of buildings, or everything?
If you take a look at these screenshots, you'll see that perspective there is already axonometric 3/4. Zelda uses the same perspective outside.

I'm kind of biased towards the former mode because Zelda games, but I can see why you prefer the new version over the older one.
I can understand why Zelda perspective may look more appealing. But I've thought about this and figured out that it gives me no advantage at all. It's actually harder to pull off because other stuff should follow this pespective. Now sprites are a lot of easier to make. Compare these two sprites, for example:

The right one is a lot easier to draw and looks cleaner, which is cool about axonometric perspective too :)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »
Great job - awesome drawing skills ;)

Btw: Some pages ago, I read that you want to update all systems at once without calling each system individually. As I remember you had not base class for your systems, so a common collection like std::vector<std::unique_ptr<BaseSystem>> systems isn't possible.

Have you solved the problem yet without introducing a base class?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:24:32 pm by Glocke »
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2015, 11:24:24 pm »
Great job - awesome drawing skills ;)
Thanks!

Btw: Some pages ago, I read that you want to update all systems at once without calling each system individually. As I remember you had not base class for your systems, so a common collection like std::vector<std::unique_ptr<BaseSystem>> systems isn't possible.

Have you solved the problem yet without introducing a base class?
Right now I have base class IEntitySystem and template class
template <typename ComponentType>
class EntitySystem {
    std::vector<ComponentType*> components;
}

So I can store systems like this:
std::vector<std::unique_ptr<IEntitySystem>>
Works quite well! (No casts needed, because IEntitySystem has such virtual methods as update and process)

Glocke

• Hobby Dev/GameDev
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2015, 08:08:17 am »
Works quite well! (No casts needed, because IEntitySystem has such virtual methods as update and process)

Ah cool! :) I just found another solution without a base class - but with some heavy template meta-programming using C++11 parameter packs.
Current project: Racod's Lair - Rogue-inspired Coop Action RPG

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2015, 06:56:27 pm »
I prefer the newer perspective and the artwork is - unbelievably - still improving!
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Mörkö

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2015, 07:39:39 am »
The new style looks much better.

Seeing all four walls of a room doesn't make any sense when the objects in the room are shown only from one side.

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2015, 03:29:06 pm »
Ah cool! :) I just found another solution without a base class - but with some heavy template meta-programming using C++11 parameter packs.
Neat. How can you access a particular system in your engine?

I prefer the newer perspective and the artwork is - unbelievably - still improving!
Thanks a lot!

The new style looks much better.

Seeing all four walls of a room doesn't make any sense when the objects in the room are shown only from one side.
Thanks. I agree, though some games used weird perspectives pretty good, I'm not able to pull it off, so using a more convenient one is better.

anything