Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads [hiatus]  (Read 443513 times)

Xoodar

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads
« Reply #630 on: August 29, 2016, 02:34:10 am »
Thank you! And I'm very glad to hear that I inspire people. :)

Level consists of stuff stored in txt (mostly tile info) and some additional Lua scripts which contain some data like music path, ambient path, area info, etc. and functions which are executed when you enter different areas on the level.

And what do you mean by level saving? Do you mean in-game saving or saving level after it has been edited in level editor?

Different tilesets are handled with multiple vertex arrays. :)

I mean, when you save a level, with two different tilesets in it, how do you save it? I never worked with levels like it, i'm very curious.
And can you tell me more about vertex arrays with different tilesets?
Thank you! :)

Mr_Blame

• View Profile
    • Email
Re:creation - a top down action adventure about undeads
« Reply #631 on: August 29, 2016, 02:52:54 pm »
You need to have a header in your file e.g.
YourFile.txt:
   tileset1.png tileset2.png

Algorithm:
Extract a line and extract from this line tile set paths. Then you know what to do ;).

Xoodar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #632 on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:00 pm »
YourFile.txt:

Algorithm:
Extract a line and extract from this line tile set paths. Then you know what to do ;).
No i... i... i don't D:

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #633 on: September 03, 2016, 07:43:45 pm »
YourFile.txt:

Algorithm:
No i... i... i don't D:
I'll explain my level file structure soon! Sorry for the delay, I'm quite busy at the moment. :)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Xoodar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #634 on: September 04, 2016, 03:21:15 am »
i will wait!

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #635 on: September 18, 2016, 11:47:12 pm »
Sorry for such a long delay again!
Okay, first of all, if you have tilesets on different textures (different files), you can't use the same vertex array for them because sf::VertexArray maps vertices to texture coords and you assume that the texture is the only one. So, suppose you have a level which has two tilesets (let's give them ids, 0 and 1). Tiles in such level can be stored something like this:
1:0,0:1,0:0,...
Where x:y means that tile has id x and tilesetId y. (that's how I store them)
You'll have to have to VertexArrays for each tileset. The first one will correspond to tileset with id = 0 and second one - to tileset with id = 1. Each vertex array will contain only those vertices which correspond to tiles which have a corresponding tilesetId. So, for tileId you'll store the first tile in example file and won't store the second tile.
Hope it all makes sense, feel free to ask more questions if you want. (You can write me an e-mail, it's better to chat there: eliasdaler@yandex.ru), or you can PM me here.

Btw, I'm working on the game pretty hard now. Fixing old rusty code, adding necessary stuff, cleaning up the engine structure, etc. Hope I'll finish all that stuff soon. Any tips on not over engineering and being okay with some your code? (There needs to be book on that, ha-ha!)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Lin

• Just another game developer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 22, 2016, 11:24:50 am »
Btw, I'm working on the game pretty hard now. Fixing old rusty code, adding necessary stuff, cleaning up the engine structure, etc. Hope I'll finish all that stuff soon. Any tips on not over engineering and being okay with some your code? (There needs to be book on that, ha-ha!)
That seems to be the theme of every programmer that does everything for personal gain, including myself :( To prevent it, I've decided to just keep everything the same until the end and I have a finished product. Then when I want to do version 1.1, or start optimizing the code, or implement modding support etc, I'll go back and redo what I feel needs redoing. As you work, you'll always come up with ideas for how things could better be done, but you'll never actually get things done that way.

So in short, the only solution is don't (lol) - that's what planning is for I guess.

Tukimitzu

• Anti-Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 25, 2016, 05:29:26 am »
Any tips on not over engineering and being okay with some your code?

If you know something can be done better, save it for the next game. Only change things that are precluding something else to work. It's not like players care if you are scripting or hardcoding anyway.

And as I say this I'm writing my own version of strtok::)

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #638 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:40 am »
If you know something can be done better, save it for the next game. Only change things that are precluding something else to work. It's not like players care if you are scripting or hardcoding anyway.
It's not about the players or other programmers checking out my code, it's about being helpful and kind to my future self. Scripting helps me iterate much faster, write cleaner code which has less bugs and is much easier to modify. And if I kept thinking, "ehhh, I'll change/implement it for the next game", I'd probably be confused by all the messy code and hardcoded stuff all around... While it's okay for a smaller project, my project isn't small, so I can't just "go with the flow". :S

The same applies to what Lin has said. I wouldn't make it to 1.0 with the tools I previously had. Or maybe I could but the game would be much worse and buggier than it is even now.
Take my level editor for example... After reimplementing it's interface with ImGui now helps me build much more complex levels in less time. I don't have to remember countless key bindings, I can easily add new abilities to it, etc.

I've started working on the game really hard again two weeks ago and I've made a huge progress since then. Most of the things I did can be considered refactoring and repairing broken stuff, but doing so, I've managed to improve the quality of the code and easily implement some cool things I previously couldn't.
Most of the work was done by porting some stuff from C++ to Lua, because Lua provides great simplicity and wrappers for difficult stuff which I write in C++ and then can call from Lua.

There are still lots of things I have to do before I stop doing "invisible" work and repaying my programmer debt... But I feel like I'm on the right path and things have been going very well for the last two weeks.

What makes me especially happy is that I move on pretty quick and work on very important things. Things that let me implement new game features. Things that let me fix bugs, make the game easier to expand and modify.

Yes, I could have made a game with lots of bad code and then I could have made another one where the code was better. But this isn't a case for my game, because I don't want to have many limitations which will limit me.

Here's an example of the thing that probably increased re-usability of the code and allowed me to implement very complex cutscenes in no time: action lists. Yes, I've managed to do similar stuff with state machinest... but can you imagine how difficult it would be if I had to do big cutscenes with primitive tools? This would have hurt my desire to make cutscenes really awesome and I'd be looking for a easy way out. This is not the approach I want to take.

Hopefully, I haven't been doing lots of wasteful work which you would consider as overkill. (Well, I can think of one thing: Meta serialization/deserialization system). But I think that most things I do are made to make me build the game, not just some random engine. YAGNI is an important principle which I follow and there haven't been a thing I've made for the game which I don't use.

I realize that the progress hasn't been as quick as some people want it to be. But you have to understand lots of factors which cause this: I'm a solo developer, I develop my engine from scratch (almost), I have other things to do in my life, as well as several others (which I'll explain in an article I plan to write soon).

I'll explain in detail what I did in next post which will summarize all the things I did in the previous 2-3 months.
Let's see what I'll have to say in a week or two. Hopefully, things will be very optimistic by then and I'll start working on a new content, of which there haven't been much lately.
I hope that this will be kind of a "reboot" of the thread and I'll be able to deliver more stuff.
And I just want to thank everyone for all the support and encouragment in this thread. All of it fills me with great pride for my work and makes me work harder and make Re:creation the best game I can do.

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #639 on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:39 am »
Just got my game's gifs stolen on 9gag: http://9gag.com/gag/a25X7P9
Some guy claimed that he's been developing the game, but he's not me, of course.
The game got lots of attention and praise, so it's pretty good, I guess. Any thoughts on this?
UPD: made a post there: http://9gag.com/gag/aNWb6V0
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:35:20 am by Elias Daler »

SpeCter

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2016, 01:39:43 pm »
Obviously not cool, maybe you should add watermarks or something  in the future which makes it harder to just copy and claim it as your own.
I can only imagine that you have very mixed feelings about this, since it got so much praise(which is nice) but the praise is directed at the wrong person(some attention seeking whore on 9gag).

SpaceInJourney

• Just some random guy, that likes memes.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #641 on: October 05, 2016, 03:14:49 pm »
Good job, I seen all images from first one (I found them on your imgur album which you made) and game has made really great progress! Can't wait to see finished version.

dabbertorres

• View Profile
    • website/blog
« Reply #642 on: October 05, 2016, 07:00:31 pm »
Damn. The watermark is a good idea. Maybe make the watermark a link to your site/devblogs/etc just in case someone does steal it again without looking too hard.

Also, looks like there is a report option, although I haven't used 9gag, so I don't know how effective it is.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #643 on: October 05, 2016, 10:20:21 pm »
Sorry to hear about the theft, Elias. Why on Earth would they be claiming to be developing and promise other stuff that they obviously cannot deliver? I mean, he "just read a lot online to learn how to make this", which understates and undermines how much involvement this game obviously requires!

Did you post on his thread as well making your own thread?
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 05, 2016, 11:02:16 pm »
Wow, internet is sometimes so ridiculous...

While I was shocked at the first time, I now - 5 mins later - think that you pretty much benefit from that. I mean 3k comments and they are mainly positive. Wow.

To be serious: All in all just a very nice advertising and you had zero effort yourself. I mean what danger could result from this? Even if he keeps posting stuff, he just makes your gifs more famous.

I think you should see it like that: People will remember the art-style and the gameplay-mechanics. They will not remember and at all they do not really care WHO posted the gifs.