Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Funny errors you've made or run into?  (Read 3765 times)

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
Funny errors you've made or run into?
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:47:42 am »
Those little oops error that take longer than they should to find kind of errors.  The ones you spend a while hunting down and just laugh about later.

Just curious what some of those are.

In my case I was linking to a DLL file instead of a LIB file earlier and it didn't register on my brain until I checked what I had linked before. >_>
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Funny errors you've made or run into?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:15:34 pm »
I updated the linking to SFML2.3 but forgot to update the DLLs. When run (using 2.2 DLLs), it worked fine apart from pressing the middle mouse button triggered a left mouse button pressed event.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Brax

• Wannabe C++ Game Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:22:32 pm »
When SFML 2.3 came out, I updated my project to that version, and everything worked well (or was it? :P ).

A week or so has passed after I updated my game and I decided to test the release version of it. The mouse button pressed event didn't work, and I didn't have a clue why.

The very first thing I checked was the include\libraries path in the properties section of my project, following the SFML tutorials for Visual Studio. Everything seemed to be in order. After that I again copied-pasted the 2.3 DLLs, but they were not a problem.

After messing around with std::cout (because breakpoints and assertions does not work in release mode), and on another dummy project updated from 2.2 to 2.3 version (in which I made the same mistake!),  I figured that each time I press a button, a mouse button released event is generated! I then preformed a couple of checks and found out that SFML Debug and Release modes are not compatible.

And in typical C++ noob programmer manner, I convinced myself that I found a bug in SFML!!! ;D I already made the complete and minimal example (in the same project), and was ready to post it on forums.

But then I decided to take one last check on project properties before I do post on forums, and guess what? The Release mod paths still pointed to the 2.2 includes and libraries.:o So you could say that last check saved me from embarrassing myself on the forums. ;D

After fixing that, everything worked as intended. :)

kitteh-warrior

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:32:11 am »
The other day, I was working on a VertexArray management class, so that other objects would "request" a quad to be created, and it would get a pointer of the 4 verticies created. Though, after requesting the next set of verticies, it invalidated the previous pointers. After a quite a few hours of wondering what is going on, I thought "What if the sf::VertexArray is just a std::vector of verticies?" Resizing a vector could cause references to the current data to be invalid, due to moving all of the data to another place in memory.

That was indeed the problem, because sf::VertexArray contains a std::vector<sf::Vertex>.

To verify that the code then worked properly after isolating that issue, I proceeded to create a version of sf::VertexArray that uses std::deque<sf::Vertex>, and it worked as expected.

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:55:37 am »
    const sf::Time delta = sf::seconds(1.f / 60.f);
    sf::Time stock;
    sf::Clock clock;
    while(!m_quit)
    {
        stock += clock.restart();
        while(stock >= delta)
        {
            update();
            stock -= delta;
        }//while stock >= delta
        render();
    }//while not m quit
I wrote clock.getElapsedTime() in the first line of the while loop, which made the game go at a rate that is cubic in respect to time, instead of linear.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 01:12:40 am »
I wrote clock.getElapsedTime() [instead of clock.restart()] which made the game go at a rate that is cubic in respect to time, instead of linear.
I'm sure we've all done this one  :)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

shadowmouse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:02 am »
I did the opposite in that I had several things which need the time since last loop and instead of storing the time I put clock.restart() as a parameter for all the functions and everything basically stopped moving. Then again I've also done getElapsedTime instead of restart as well, so, I guess I'm incapable of using a clock correctly.