Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.3.1 GAME DESIGN LESSONS  (Read 21361 times)

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 2.3.1 GAME DESIGN LESSONS
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:24:04 am »
C++ SFML : GAME DESIGN LESSONS
Do you want to learn C++ SFML Game Design?
23 Videos so far, and more coming soon. Check out the screen shots below!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx2OWCj5oxNMf0g1ggEzcboCzdYYFuXF6

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:02:28 am by subconsciousbias »

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
Re: SFML 2.3.1 LESSONS - Let's Make an RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 04:49:55 am »
Now don't get offended reading this post, but I am telling you how it is. Because unless you see that it is another bad "tutorial" series (CodingMadeEasy anybody?) and that you don't understand what you are trying to teach, you won't make it anywhere as a programmer. As I see it you have only been using SFML for ~4 months and that is not nearly enough time for you to learn something to a level that you can begin teaching it. Especially when your own C++ skills are lacking.

All I can say is this is just another bad video series that can not be recommended to anybody. Just to see I downloaded the #6 & #7 code. To start off you uploaded the code to a site riddled with ads and then inside the zip you don't provide anyway to build the code (some mac files don't count). But I still decided to look through the code....

• using namespace std;
  • Use of magic constants
  • No handling of delta time whatsoever
  • Massive unused #includes
  • Enity class doesn't encapsulate anything, might as well typdef struct
  • Empty enity.cpp file... for what purpose?
  • Mix of *.hpp and *.h extensions
  • What is even the purpose of ResourcePath.hpp - No wait, I know now, its part of SFML's OSX implementation which you copied and pasted in the download for what purpose?
  • Storing textures within entities
  • Shamelessly stealing textures without credit
  • Non standard entry point
  • Probably more stuff especially if I bothered to attempt to download more "example code"

All in all, I don't know why people that don't have a good understanding of C++ and game development attempt to create so called "tutorials" to teach other people something they themselves don't understand. Also this has nothing to do with a "RPG" genre. There is absolutely 0 role playing demonstrated other than how to move a sprite around the screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_blind_leading_the_blind

PS: Your "banner" is poorly designed and doesn't even fit in the webpage... not mentioning the fact you didn't use an alpha channel. And WTF is "SFML 3.1"? ? ?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:58:13 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFML 2.3.1 LESSONS - Let's Make an RPG
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 05:22:11 am »
Now don't get offended reading this post, but I am telling you how it is. Because unless you see that it is another bad "tutorial" series (CodingMadeEasy anybody?) and that you don't understand what you are trying to teach, you won't make it anywhere as a programmer. As I see it you have only been using SFML for ~4 months and that is not nearly enough time for you to learn something to a level that you can begin teaching it. Especially when your own C++ skills are lacking.

All I can say is this is just another bad video series that can not be recommended to anybody. Just for the heck of it I downloaded the #6 code. To start off you uploaded the code to a site riddled with ads and then inside the zip you don't provide anyway to build the code (some mac files don't count). But I still decided to look through the code....

• using namespace std;
  • Use of magic constants
  • No handling of delta time whatsoever
  • Massive unused #includes
  • Enity class doesn't encapsulate anything, might as well typdef struct
  • Empty enity.cpp file... for what purpose?
  • Mix of *.hpp and *.h extensions
  • What is even the purpose of ResourcePath.hpp - No wait, I know now, its part of SFML's OSX implementation which you copied and pasted in the download for what purpose?
  • Storing textures within entities
  • Shamelessly stealing textures without credit
  • Non standard entry point
  • Probably more stuff especially if I bothered to attempt to download more "example code"

All in all, I don't know why people that don't have a good understanding of C++ and game development attempt to create so called "tutorials" to teach other people something they themselves don't understand. Also this has nothing to do with a "RPG" genre. There is absolutely 0 role playing demonstrated other than how to move a sprite around the screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_blind_leading_the_blind

PS: Your "banner" is terribly designed and doesn't even fit in the webpage... not mentioning the fact you didn't use an alpha channel. And WTF is "SFML 3.1"? ? ?

Are you someone I know in real life, trolling me, or do you just have a bad attitude? I am sure some people will find this series very useful. I'll make you a deal, you create a better series, and I will delete this one. Except I don't think you will, because you just have a bad attitude bro.

Edit: Oh shit, you are right, I put sfml 3.1, thanks for pointing that out, I need to change that to 2.3!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:29:42 am by subconsciousbias »

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Re: SFML 2.3.1 GAME DESIGN LESSONS
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:29 am »
While the post might be a bit on the more offensive side, there are definitely a few valid points in there (if what's written down is indeed the case; haven't had time to look). Zsbzsb's definitely not trying to troll (excessively).

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »
While the post might be a bit on the more offensive side, there are definitely a few valid points in there (if what's written down is indeed the case; haven't had time to look). Zsbzsb's definitely not trying to troll (excessively).

It is a bit on the offensive side. He first insulted making a video series, which is idiotic thing to say to someone first of all, learn some manners? There are a few valid points, which I have already changed. The details of how I format my code, is my prerogative, and it works. I am not a coding nazi, and I learn as time goes on. The series should be useful to people who want to learn sfml with c++. Zsbzsb was acting like an asshole on irc chat, as well, before I posted this series.. Maybe keep it to yourself next time zsb, or atleast be polite and make constructive criticism. It's like listening to an angry self righteous child. The guy clearly has aspergers or complete lack of tact?

Edit: If you were trying to discourage me zsh, I can tell you that it has had the opposite effect, I am more determined than ever to release more videos. So troll on! My offer is still on for you to make a better video series, or do you just like sitting on the side lines, behind your words, maybe show your face to the internet and quit being a keyboard commando.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:52:49 pm by subconsciousbias »

Satus

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:04:08 pm »
I would think this post is some kind of a joke if not all those videos he actually made.

To be honest, your tutorials are not actually bad, but is does seem like you are not yet experienced in SFML enough to start teaching other people. No offence, but you at least have to make one finished public project with it or at least use it for something more that educational purpose only.

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:06:02 pm »
I would think this post is some kind of a joke if not all those videos he actually made.

To be honest, your tutorials are not actually bad, but is does seem like you are not yet experienced in SFML enough to start teaching other people. No offence, but you at least have to make one finished public project with it or at least use it for something more that educational purpose only.

Thank you

Here is some of the prototypes I have made, I think what I have learned is useful to someone who wants to learn sfml, and there are no video series explaining what I have.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:10:01 pm by subconsciousbias »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »
The "problem" is that many beginners start posting tutorials (especially videos) as soon as they've learnt something, totally forgetting that you must be experienced to actually teach something.

I haven't looked at yours, so I won't say if I find them good or bad, but maybe you should tell us why you created them, so that they are not "just another tutorial serie about how to setup SFML and draw stuff". What makes them good? What can we find in them, that is not in the official tutorials / doc or in other video tutorials? You can also tell us a bit more about your experience with C++ and SFML.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 01:59:18 pm »
He first insulted making a video series, which is idiotic thing to say to someone first of al
I'm not completely against video tutorials per se but the main problem with them is highlighted here:
There are a few valid points, which I have already changed.
where you have fixed things that are incorrect outside of the video but not in the video itself.
This means that after your changes, your videos are already out-of-date.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
Watch the first video in the series, it shows what is completed by video 21. I have never seen an sfml video series that explains the functionality that is implemented in this series. I find it rather amusing that people get offended I created a video series to help people. If someone already knows sfml, they should just move on, why did they click on this series in the first place? It is rather amusing. I don't have to prove anything to anyone, if you want to watch my series and learn, because you are new to sfml, I made this for you. I posted a link to my series on this forum in order to make it available to people outside of youtube video search (which is primarily how my youtube channel gets views). In addition, one of the best ways to learn, is to teach. I could have spent 3 days, refining the code. But this is an organic development of a game, filmed over 2 days, everything done was captured live, and created live, without preplanning. This is how you develop a prototype, surely someone must understand this method. I could make the code flawless if I wanted to, but it would be very boring to watch on video, and I wanted everything to be done on video, so people can see what it takes, to problem solve in order to implement the functionality in the series. It is a useful series, and if you don't want to watch it, don't. All this drama is good for ratings, but I never wanted it.

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 03:32:25 pm »
Watch the first video in the series
I did.
I don't know why you got upset by what people have said. I, for one, said nothing so far about your videos that you shouldn't already know.

But this is an organic development of a game
Then it is not a tutorial.

I find it rather amusing that people get offended I created a video series to help people. If someone already knows sfml, they should just move on, why did they click on this series in the first place
Firstly, people are curious.
Secondly, it's very common for people that have watched video SFML tutorials to come to the forum with a problem that is usually quite difficult to understand because of the way they've been taught.
This has been known to frustrate some forum members as they have to repeat the same basic things over and over. This leads to these members 'checking out' any video tutorials to see how they're going to affect the future forum posts.
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 04:22:49 pm »
Quote from: subconsciousbias
It is a bit on the offensive side. He first insulted making a video series, which is idiotic thing to say to someone first of all, learn some manners?

I never insulted it purely as a video series, I did all my analysis based on the code downloads. Not to mention the fact that most video series that teach SFML are poorly done and teach bad practice (need a link where others have said this before?).

There are a few valid points, which I have already changed.

Only a few? And as for what you changed nobody can tell unless you have uploaded stuff to github and starting making changes there.

The details of how I format my code, is my prerogative, and it works.

I never once commented on your formatting, just about how you use C++.

Zsbzsb was acting like an asshole on irc chat, as well, before I posted this series.

I was? Please post the log then because I haven't been on IRC in several days and I just checked my bouncer log and you just got on to "talk" with me (but I wasn't there).

(click to show/hide)

and make constructive criticism

Ok, let me validate my points from my first reply.

(click to show/hide)

The "problem" is that many beginners start posting tutorials (especially videos) as soon as they've learnt something, totally forgetting that you must be experienced to actually teach something.

Exactly what I was trying to point out.

In addition, one of the best ways to learn, is to teach.

No, not at all. You don't go to college/univerity and in your freshmen year become a TA to teach a course you yourself do not know.

This is how you develop a prototype, surely someone must understand this method. I could make the code flawless if I wanted to, but it would be very boring to watch on video, and I wanted everything to be done on video, so people can see what it takes, to problem solve in order to implement the functionality in the series.

None of my issues with your code examples have anything to do with it not being flawless. I am pointing out the bad practices in your code. Both of which don't need to exist in a prototype if the person writing the prototype knows how to use good practices.

All this drama is good for ratings, but I never wanted it.

Drama? Sure go ahead and consider it drama... just another day for me. I for one am somebody that tries to avoid drama and just calls stuff as I see it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:33:39 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

G.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 07:13:21 pm »
How come that on almost every thread you made (including those who were deleted ;) ) you find someone to insult?

subconsciousbias

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 06:05:30 am »
I just added screen shots, for anyone who wanted to know what you will learn in this series!

zsh my offer is still on the table, you create a better video series, and I will delete mine, I know you won't, you were just trolling, lol.

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:10 pm »
All this drama is good for ratings, but I never wanted it.

you create a better series, and I will delete this one. Except I don't think you will, because you just have a bad attitude bro.
My offer is still on for you to make a better video series, or do you just like sitting on the side lines, behind your words, maybe show your face to the internet and quit being a keyboard commando.
you create a better video series, and I will delete mine, I know you won't, you were just trolling, lol.
For someone who wants no drama, you're certainly attempting to cause a lot of it.

Please ignore your need for confrontation and focus on the actual subject.
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

anything