Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crash on Exit Passing RenderWindow to Class  (Read 6603 times)

Spirrwell

• View Profile
Crash on Exit Passing RenderWindow to Class
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:49:54 am »
Hi there!

I've researched this issue and tried various things learning that the RenderWindow is non-copyable and all that fun stuff. But, I swear I see other programs doing this that don't have an issue, which I'm guessing I'm simply missing a step.

At the moment, I'm running under Debug mode with the debug libraries linked statically. Basically I have a Camera class with a function DrawHUD that works like so:

void Camera::DrawHUD(sf::RenderWindow &window)
{
        testText.setString("Hi! I'm a HUD!");
        window.pushGLStates();
        window.draw(testText);
        window.popGLStates();
}

Basically it all comes down to window.draw() is where it ultimately crashes. Well, that's sort of true, because it only crashes when the program exits, but only if that draw() is called from inside my class.

When it crashes it goes to the file crtexe.c and points to the lines here:

if (has_cctor == 0)
                _cexit();

and then proceeds to give me the Unhandled Exception error with ntdll.dll.

It doesn't matter if I pass it as a pointer, and I can't pass it directly because RenderWindow is noncopyable to avoid duplicate windows. So am I just stupid, or?

For more code context, this is basically how it works:

Camera mainCamera;
//...
//WHILE LOOP HERE
mainCamera.DrawHUD(window);

Any ideas? By the way, that testText thing has all the other stuff setup in the class' constructor, but where I put that seemed to not make any difference anyway.

mkalex777

• View Profile
Re: Crash on Exit Passing RenderWindow to Class
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:10:30 am »
I remember similar issue on windows xp with csfml 2.2, but it seems that it was fixed in 2.3

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 07:45:56 am »
CSFML is not the official SFML library. It is a port/bind which may or may not do things the same way as the official SFML library (Ports/bindings usually introduce their own bugs, quirks and anomalies on top of the official code).

As for the problem: If I recall, SFML has problems when you close it .. I'm going to say incorrectly but thats not the right word.

I'm not sure if this is still an issue but I remember reading a while back (On here) that closing an SFML application by closing the console (For console apps), closes the application in a pretty ugly way.

I noticed you are pushing/poping GL states which CAN cause this problem if you close the application before your draw calls have been executed.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 07:52:33 am »
You need to provide a minimal and compilable example.

My guess is that you have a normal window on the stack and just take the pointer to pass around but then let the window go out of scope when the application exits, but you're still somehow using the pointer of the non existing window anymore.

But without code all we can do is randomly guess.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:28:27 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 12:49:33 pm »
I remember similar issue on windows xp with csfml 2.2, but it seems that it was fixed in 2.3

There was no such thing, so unless you can start citing all of your insight please stop posting random pieces of 'information'.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »
CSFML is not the official SFML library. It is a port/bind which may or may not do things the same way as the official SFML library (Ports/bindings usually introduce their own bugs, quirks and anomalies on top of the official code).
Yes, CSFML is one of the official bindings, together with SFML.NET. CSFML is supposed to behave like SFML unless explicitly otherwise noted -- we're glad if bugs or misbehaving features are reported.

There was no such thing, so unless you can start citing all of your insight please stop posting random pieces of 'information'.
I totally agree. Please don't spread rumors, it's not helpful in any way.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Spirrwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 05:53:38 pm »
I figured it out.

Ugh... Well to anybody else, basically I had an sf::Font declared globally, which I knew is a big "no-no" for creating Windows, but didn't realize that it also applied to other objects.

Moral of the story, don't make any SFML related classes global, ever, period.

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 11:05:24 pm »
I'll go further. Don't ever make ANY global object. There is rarely a situation where it's valid.
GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord

Spirrwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 12:59:03 am »
I'll go further. Don't ever make ANY global object. There is rarely a situation where it's valid.
Tell that to the makers of Valve's Source Engine. Tons of globals there, that's kind of where I was getting some inspiration from. I've been programming under the Source Engine for quite a while now. But there's tons of global variables, externs all over the place, and whatnot.

Though it does kind of reek of C in terms of methodology. Anyway, I think globals are okay, but you have to base your program around what you have to work with I guess. Haven't messed with SDL in a while, but I could do the whole global variable thing there. Although I really like SFML with its more C++ feel.

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 04:23:21 am »
The rule-of-thumb isnt "Dont ever use global variables", its more along the lines of "Be wary about the consequences of using them". Order of initialization isnt defined for global objects, even constants, so problems arise with certain types (Pretty much only user defined types) when declared globally.

The programmers at Valve know what they are doing so I'd say its safe to give them a bit of an exception here  :P

mkalex777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 05:39:15 am »
I totally agree. Please don't spread rumors, it's not helpful in any way.

So, if this is a feature of CSFML 2.2, then why it was removed in CSFML 2.3?

Here is an example on how to reproduce such interesting "rumored feature" of CSFML 2.2:
#include <SFML/Audio.h>

int main()
{
        sfSound* pSound = sfSound_create();
        if (!pSound) return 1;
        sfSound_destroy(pSound);
        return 0;
}

And here is "rumored feature" in action on Windows XP x32:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:14:28 am by mkalex777 »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 07:21:20 am »
It was a bug (not only for XP), it was fixed. But this has nothing to do with the topic so please stop posting here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:23:07 am by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

mkalex777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 07:30:05 am »
This has nothing to do with the topic so please stop posting here.

I has the same issue with CSFML 2.2 - the application was crashed on window close.

zsbzsb wrote that there is no such issue on CSFML 2.2.
Nexus totaly approved that there is no such issues and it's just a "rumors".

So, I posted the minimal code to reproduce "non-existing rumored issue". And added screenshot. That's is :)

It may be related with topic starter issue and may not be related. But it's definitely very similar issue. Because it happens on app close. And it's not so obvious that it may be caused by audio library. So I think it should be mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:47:10 am by mkalex777 »

mkalex777

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 07:45:17 am »
It was a bug (not only for XP), it was fixed.

I reproduced it on XP. It works ok on windows 7 and windows 10
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:48:30 am by mkalex777 »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:42 am »
Tell that to the makers of Valve's Source Engine. Tons of globals there, that's kind of where I was getting some inspiration from. I've been programming under the Source Engine for quite a while now. But there's tons of global variables, externs all over the place, and whatnot.
The programmers at Valve know what they are doing so I'd say its safe to give them a bit of an exception here  :P
Typical fallacy: argument from authority

The fact that one big company does something may be the result of various reasons, including historical or political ones -- in short, you don't know the backgrounds. Assuming that it's purely because of better design is risky, and applying the same reasoning to your own code, which has completely different preconditions, is a mistake.

This from a purely logical standpoint. There are objective arguments why global variables are problematic if used too often, see for example here. Please inform yourself carefully and be skeptic what you hear, instead of just thinking "ah, the big guys do it, so it must be right". Most progress in C++ during the decade of C++98 has been made by guys who questioned the common old ways of doing things -- and that was a huge step forward, considering that the language hasn't changed at all until 2011.

Tip: in C++, it's usually better to look at how people don't do things ;)

It may be related with topic starter issue and may not be related.
Because of that it would have been nice to open a different thread and post a link here, so the original discussion can go on uninterrupted. Don't open a thread now -- but thanks for reproducing the issue :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

anything