Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Selba Ward  (Read 116832 times)

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Selba Ward
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:21:08 pm »
Welcome to Selba Ward!
.................."check in to check it out"

Introduction
Selba Ward is a collection of generic, reusable and flexible drawable objects for SFML.

Objects
Currently available objects:
Usage
Selba Ward can be built as a single library and then the objects can be included as required (as I use it myself) or the individual objects can be copied into your project and built along with it. The drawable objects are completely independant of each other. However, they will also require the very light Common.hpp header, along with any dependants (e.g. Bitmap Text requires Bitmap Font) or extras (e.g. Palette Enums can be useful with Console Screen)

Future Objects
Small and quick objects can usually be added quite quickly when they are added to the to-do list.
Suggestions will be taken into serious consideration, even larger objects.

SFML
All objects in Selba Ward require SFML version 2+. The latest version is recommended, although some objects may not have been tested with that version.

Feedback
As always, feedback (on the currently available objects, their interface, or the underlying code) is highly appreciated.
Suggestions for objects will also be taking into consideration.
Please report any problems with specific versions of SFML to me. This thread can be a good place for that.

Demo Animation
Best viewed in 1080 quality and 60 FPS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjs-oRhn2fE

Examples
(click to show/hide)

Thank you for reading and I hope you find Selba Ward useful!
Selba Ward is available here on GitHub and is under the zLib licence (same as SFML).

EDIT: Added link for Polygon (from the list) and removed the listing of the old Console Screen as its no longer available.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:46:30 pm by Hapax »
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Selba Ward
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:57:02 pm »
Sounds interesting. Thanks for putting together and sharing! :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

lolz123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:44:43 am »
I see it! draW ableS ;)
Have you heard about the new Cray super computer?  It’s so fast, it executes an infinite loop in 6 seconds.

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 07:09:29 am »
I see it! draW ableS ;)
Ha-ha, that's clever :D

The library looks pretty neat. I looked at the implementation and my implementation of the stuff I use (line and bitmap text) is pretty similar to yours, so now I'm relieved that I did things pretty okay :D
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

Mortal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:11:14 am »
that really a cool stuffs, thanks for sharing.
wiki info and min-examples are indeed comprehensive and simpified, i'm sure it will be useful for others
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:25:46 am by MORTAL »

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:15 am »
Sounds interesting. Thanks for putting together and sharing! :)
I try to share most of my stuff. Eventually  ;)
I would like to develop the objects further so if you have any suggestions for improvements or any new objects, I'll be glad to hear them!

The library looks pretty neat. I looked at the implementation and my implementation of the stuff I use (line and bitmap text) is pretty similar to yours, so now I'm relieved that I did things pretty okay :D
Thanks! Similarly, it's nice to hear that I did things the right way so it's good to know that you did it in a similar way  :)

that really a cool stuffs, thanks for sharing.
wiki info and min-examples are indeed comprehensive and simpified, i'm sure it will be useful for others
Thanks and you're welcome!
Others? I use this stuff myself all of the time!
In fact, since I have started to rebuild Faux Car from scratch, I have used a couple of these already for informational purposes (progress bar, for example) and will almost definitely be using Bitmap Text there too!  ;) (The old Faux Car used the original version of Console Screen for the bitmap text display, which I'm rewriting)
New ideas for objects usually come up when I have a need for them. They are then "generified" to be usable in different situations. If you have an idea for an object, let me know!

I see it! draW ableS ;)
Bah! I was hoping it would take longer to be noticed  :P
(Mini-trivia: I also considered the idea of calling it Selb Award!)
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

SeriousITGuy

• Still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:23:03 am »
Very cool stuff, indeed useful ;) Thanks, as always Hapax.
I will take a look especially at Progressbar, because that's something I want to implement in the next weeks.

Mortal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 10:33:32 am »
In fact, since I have started to rebuild Faux Car from scratch, I have used a couple of these already for informational purposes (progress bar, for example) and will almost definitely be using Bitmap Text there too!  ;) (The old Faux Car used the original version of Console Screen for the bitmap text display, which I'm rewriting)

this is really a great news that a new version of Faux car will be out soon :)
(IMHO) Faux car  is top game, specially when you added 3 cameras to the scene, it gives fabulous effect to the game. honestly i don't know how you did that but it is considered a credit for you as experienced programmer. i'm really admire your job in this kind of games. personally i can't wait to see a new version of Faux car.

New ideas for objects usually come up when I have a need for them. They are then "generified" to be usable in different situations. If you have an idea for an object, let me know!
for objects
unfortunately i can understand what you mean by "generified". :-\
for my understanding, there are two kind of objects static and movable, the static objects like trees and billboards ..etc are easy to implements and nothing fancy can be done to them, however the movable objects is indeed worth to experiment a new ideas specially the AI, it is bit trickier but it well make the game more excited.

Jabberwocky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:50 pm »
Handy stuff, and super clever name!

Ungod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 08:26:47 pm »
Nice.
Is that stuff you did for other projects of yours or do you develop the library as a project itself?

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:42:15 pm »
Handy stuff, and super clever name!
Thank you!

Very cool stuff, indeed useful ;) Thanks, as always Hapax.
I will take a look especially at Progressbar, because that's something I want to implement in the next weeks.
Thanks. Glad you like it!
Why implement it when it's already available to use? ;)

Nice.
Is that stuff you did for other projects of yours or do you develop the library as a project itself?
Thanks!
Most of the objects come from my own necessity. If I end up needing an object more than once, I will usually make a generic version. Using Selba Ward to keep this together also forces me to make sure that each object is separate so I have to remove any use of any libraries I may normally use (usually my own small helper libraries) inside them.
Some have come into existence for other reasons. Spinning Card, for example, was created as a challenge for myself to show how to effectively fake a rotating playing card without using any actual 3D. Sprite3D was then a massive overhaul and improvement on that to actually rotate a sprite in 3D space using only Vertex Arrays.

this is really a great news that a new version of Faux car will be out soon :)
(IMHO) Faux car  is top game, specially when you added 3 cameras to the scene, it gives fabulous effect to the game. honestly i don't know how you did that but it is considered a credit for you as experienced programmer. i'm really admire your job in this kind of games. personally i can't wait to see a new version of Faux car.
Thank you for your kind words but I would not consider myself to be "experienced".
The camera views were quite simple (although took a lot of exact tweaking): offsets for positions and moving the vanishing point. The car sprite was rendered afterwards to match.
The newer version was created with much more flexibility - the camera can be moved around and the vanishing point can be moved anywhere!
When I get it to a similar point to where it was before, I'll start posting updates in the Faux Car thread  :)

unfortunately i can understand what you mean by "generified". :-\
for my understanding, there are two kind of objects static and movable...
The objects that I was talking about are for here (in Selba Ward) and I invented the word "generified"*. It basically meant to make more generic so that it is transportable and can be used in lots of situations.
*I thought I invented the word but it looks like the internet beat me to it.

the movable objects is indeed worth to experiment a new ideas specially the AI, it is bit trickier but it well make the game more excited.
As for the AI in Faux Car, I'm looking forward to eventually finishing the track drawing engine and creating a track designer so that I can hopefully eventually make a game from it!  ;D

Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 08:16:07 am »
Cool stuff, Hapax! And great presentation -- especially the name is neat. :P

Satus

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 01:28:49 pm »
Progress bar looks cool! Gonna use it. :)

Resethel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 07:56:11 pm »
thanks for sharing it, that's cool, probably gonna use it :)

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 10:39:25 pm »
Cool stuff, Hapax! And great presentation -- especially the name is neat. :P
Thank you! Much appreciated  :)

Progress bar looks cool! Gonna use it. :)
Good to hear!
Remember that the sizes and colours can be customised. It inherits from sf::Transformable too so it can be transformed as usual!  ;)

thanks for sharing it, that's cool, probably gonna use it :)
Thanks! Glad you like it  :)
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

anything