Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Hexagon Puzzle Thing  (Read 6794 times)

Metapyziks

• View Profile
Hexagon Puzzle Thing
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »
Just about finished my simple puzzle game. Got this far in about 2 days, thanks to SFML!

How to Play:

* Like minesweeper, try and work out where the mines are in the grid without clicking on them.

* When you click on a tile, it will give you two pieces of information:

- The colour of the tile tells you where the nearest mine is. A green tile is touching a mine, and a blue one is 2 tiles away from a mine.

- The number(s) on the tile tell you how many mines are near it. The green number tells you how many mines are in the neighbouring 6 tiles, and the blue number tells you how many mines are two tiles away from it.

- If you mouse over a tile, you will see two rings of tiles lit up around it, blue and green. This helps you see which tiles are next to the one you moused over, and which are two tiles away.

* If you want to remember where you worked out a mine is, right click on it to flag it. While flagged, you can't accidentally blow it up.

* If you find that you mistakenly flagged a tile, just right click on it again to de-flag it.

* If you click on a mine, you lose 50 points.

* The game ends when the mines are all located.

Download
http://www.robertandsherman.co.uk/downloads/hexpuzzle-0-1.zip - ( 1.22 mb )

Xyro

• View Profile
Hexagon Puzzle Thing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:27:53 pm »
Saw this on facepunch(right ?) looks awesome.

Metapyziks

• View Profile
Hexagon Puzzle Thing
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:55:48 pm »
Quote from: "Xyro"
Saw this on facepunch(right ?) looks awesome.

A fellow FPer!

That didn't sound right

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Hexagon Puzzle Thing
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:34:02 pm »
Nice game! :D

I especially like the hexagonal alignment (unfortunately, there are rather few games using a hexagonal field). Also the possibility to look 2 cells further is a quite new concept, compared to good old MineSweeper.

Some suggestions:
  • I was quite confused about the coloring of the tiles. The mouseover highlighting is very useful and okay, but the color is too similar to the one of the static tiles. In my opinion, the tiles could be made much darker so that one immediately recognizes which tiles are 1, and which 2 cells away, if the mouse is drawn over them.
  • An animation at mine hits (explosion or red glow or something) would be quite nice.
  • I find, a flag might look prettier than the white question-mark.
  • "Game over" sounds... hm... not very honourous, if you win the game. :P
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Metapyziks

• View Profile
Hexagon Puzzle Thing
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 02:37:47 pm »
Quote from: "Nexus"
Some suggestions:
  • I was quite confused about the coloring of the tiles. The mouseover highlighting is very useful and okay, but the color is too similar to the one of the static tiles. In my opinion, the tiles could be made much darker so that one immediately recognizes which tiles are 1, and which 2 cells away, if the mouse is drawn over them.
  • An animation at mine hits (explosion or red glow or something) would be quite nice.
  • I find, a flag might look prettier than the white question-mark.
  • "Game over" sounds... hm... not very honourous, if you win the game. :P

Thanks!
All your suggestions are very true, I'll work on them right now

Metapyziks

• View Profile
Hexagon Puzzle Thing
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:03:31 pm »
I think I have fixed them all, here's the latest version (I put the source in there too)

http://robertandsherman.co.uk/downloads/hexpuzzle/hexpuzzle-0-2.zip

Imbue

• View Profile
Hexagon Puzzle Thing
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 12:52:49 am »
Nice game.

My only criticism is that whenever I close the game (by clicking the X in the upper right) it crashes. This doesn't affect game-play at all, but it's unprofessional.

I guess you're not cleaning up correctly. Maybe this is because of all your global variables?

Anyway, neat game. Nice concept. I like the hex grid.