Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Feedback Request  (Read 3846 times)

Tukimitzu

• Anti-Hero Member
    • View Profile
Feedback Request
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:14:20 pm »
Hello again! This is the game I'm working on. Say whatever comes into your mind, I'm gathering input to decide on the name!

Genre: Turn-Based Stategy.
Atmosphere: comedic, humorous, makes fun of itself.
Theme: Mostly medieval.
Short Description: Two players fight each other with armies, engaging in battle after battle.

Win Condition: Wins the game whoever wins 2 consecutive battles.
Resources: Each player controls an army composed of 50 units and 1 hero.
  • Units: Each unit has one of four attack types (Fire, Water, Earth, Air) and different resistances to these types. When attacking, units will target random enemies (see exceptions on Mechanics)
  • Heroes: Each hero has a type and special abilities such as intimidate the enemy, convert units, confuse the enemy, explode the world, etc.
Challenge: After each battle, the loser can rebuild his army, and the winner will fight with the same army composition of the previous battle.
Mechanics (these can change): In order to win a battle, and therefore the war, the players make several decisions such as:
  • Hero selection: before the game begins, a random pool of heroes is shown to the players. They take turns choosing the heroes they want to take to the battle until all the heroes are picked.
  • Army composition: the loser of the previous battle will rebuild its army. A random pool of units will be available for him to pick from. Hint Hint: you want to counter the enemy weaknesses, but you don't want to build an army that is easily countered.
  • Actions: in his turn, the player will choose an action for the hero and for his army. Most hero abilities are passives (positive effects on allies and negative effects on enemies). The army does most of the killing.
  • Battle Formations: the formation grants passive positive effects on allies such as:
    Spear: when attacking, your units will prioritize the targets they are most likely to kill.
    Ellipse: grants +1 resistance of all types for all your units.
    Square: higher chance of winning in close combat.
    Hint Hint: If you are the first player to attack, you may want to adopt an aggressive formation, and if you are the first to defend, you may want to adopt a defensive formation. Or not, it's your call.
  • Close Combat: After each turn the armies will move forward. When they meet, in the center, the army that is winning (the army with more units alive) can choose between 3 close combat options:
    Army vs Army: 100% chance of winning, unless the enemy adopted a Square-Formation.
    Man vs Man: a random unit of each army volunteers itself to fight. Their type and resistances matters on the winning chance.
    Hero vs Hero: Fire > Air > Earth > Water > Fire. Heroes die permanently, but this battle victory will not count for the win streak needed.
Game Modes: campaign, local single player, local multiplayer, online multiplayer.
Custom Games: The players can customize matches to make it more or less challenging, or more or less RNG dependent, etc, where they can make several changes such as:
  • Eliminate heroes and/or units from the pool: if they feel some character is overpowered they can remove it from their custom games.
  • Change win streak needed to win the war: 2 win streak is challenging enough, I promise you.
  • Change number of turns per battle.
  • End all battles in Army vs Army combat.
  • Change time to think.
My Goals: I would say my goal is to create a game that is easy to learn and difficult to master. I'm not pretentious enough to claim that I'm achieving that, but that's what I'm aiming for  :)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:45:21 pm by Tukimitzu »

Satus

Re: Feedback Request
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »
I would be great if you told us more about mechanics, the most interesting thing in particular is how different formation affect the results of a battle.  ;)
Looks awesome, by the way!

Tukimitzu

• Anti-Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:46:13 pm »
I would be great if you told us more about mechanics, the most interesting thing in particular is how different formation affect the results of a battle.  ;)
Looks awesome, by the way!

Thanks Satus, I made the Mechanics section bigger and added more details!

Ethan.Calabria

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:34:14 pm »
Looks like you're pretty far along already!  How long have you been working on it? 

I think as a player, my first question would be, is there any random element to the battles?  If two players were to make the same choices in two different battles would the result be the exact same?  Also, could you try to split your army to surround an enemy? 

Look like a cool project, good luck going forward!
----
Follow me on twitter: here

Tukimitzu

• Anti-Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:36:05 am »
Looks like you're pretty far along already!  How long have you been working on it?

Thank you! I've been working half-time on it since August 2015. A good friend of mine is doing the art work and I do all the programming and design.

I think as a player, my first question would be, is there any random element to the battles?  If two players were to make the same choices in two different battles would the result be the exact same?  Also, could you try to split your army to surround an enemy?

1) Yes, there are quite a few random elements. That's why I'm keeping the battles short: there's a small chance the player will be lucky and win a battle, but the chances of being lucky two times in a row is too damn small.

2) You cannot surround the enemy. You see, there's only one way, and the way is forward. After each step forward, the players make choices. The armies will eventually meet in the center of the battlefield, and at that point the player with the largest army makes the call of how he wants the battle to end. Unfortunately, flanking is not an option, but I like your thinking  :)

There are more screenshots to see in this post:
http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=19890.0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:39:16 am by Tukimitzu »