Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Possible Game  (Read 5585 times)

Voroz

• View Profile
The Possible Game
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:07:08 pm »
Hi!

I just want to share what i'm currently making with SFML, as a university project.
Here is a small video of the game, tell me what you think :):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKY3w7j8l6w
edit: Also, i should mention that i'm using my own physics system for this game. That's what took most of the time to make.

edit2: I also haven't gotten around to making a bigger map since it's really tedious placing the boxes at good locations. I need to make a level editor i think.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:24:17 pm by Voroz »

bitano

• View Profile
Re: The Possible Game
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:24:38 pm »
Change the protagonist square into a little man and you can call the game "Mr XTC" !!! :D

Lol but seriously. It's hard to share thoughts on a game in such an early stage and with little background info on where you want to go with it.
Having said that, i think it's a great start and could become a challenging and fun game with some more complementing elements / challenges / variety in place.

i suggest you change the topic of this thread to "my awesome game", keep that mindset and keep us posted on your progress!!!

Hyden

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:28 pm »
It looks good so far! You could cut all the work that goes into creating a level editor by just using a pre-existing one such as mapeditor.org, you'll only have to create a level loader. The physics and collision system looks solid and it already seems interesting. Carry on! :)

Voroz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:04 pm »
Thank you both for your comments and opinions.

bitano, i don't think you've played The impossible game? That's my inspiration for this game, and why i named it like this :), and it's very similar.

I wouldn't say the game is in a very early stage, depending on how much extra features i want, but the hardest part of the game is done. You could at this stage just make a longer level and call it a game, but i think i'll add some more fancy stuff.

Hyden, I will take a look at that map editor and see if it will work for my game, thanks.

AFS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:18:38 pm »
Looks good! I'm familiar with the Impossible Game (although I've never played it), so I noticed the reference right away.

edit2: I also haven't gotten around to making a bigger map since it's really tedious placing the boxes at good locations. I need to make a level editor i think.

How are you making the map right now? Manually placing the boxes in code? Reading a file?

Voroz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 10:54:40 pm »
Looks good! I'm familiar with the Impossible Game (although I've never played it), so I noticed the reference right away.

How are you making the map right now? Manually placing the boxes in code? Reading a file?
I'm manually creating them in the game constructor right now. I'm not using tiles or anything like that. A typical box creation would look something like this:
GameRectObject *box = new GameRectObject(PhysicsType::staticT, *_physicsSystem.timeToSimulate(), 3500, 500, 50, 50, Flag::fallsWhenTouched);
_physicsSystem.addItem(*box);
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:12:29 pm by Voroz »

bitano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:12:25 am »
Thank you both for your comments and opinions.

bitano, i don't think you've played The impossible game? That's my inspiration for this game, and why i named it like this :), and it's very similar.

You're right!! i didn't. Just checked it. Indeed it's pretty close to finished then.

Not knowing the Impossible Game, i thought the squares were placeholders and it was more a display of mechanics where graphics still needed to be implemented.
Personally i would think a nice background or some subtle textures would spice it up, but that's more flavor (and personal taste).

Well done!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:12:07 am by bitano »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 08:14:26 am »
Looks pretty neat already. I love The Impossible Games. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Tukimitzu

• Anti-Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 01:52:02 am »
There's another game called Geometry Dash that is similar too (maybe same developer even?).
Anyway, good job! Yours looks fun too!

Voroz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 03:49:19 pm »
There's another game called Geometry Dash that is similar too (maybe same developer even?).
Anyway, good job! Yours looks fun too!
Yeah i know about that one, but that one is too crazy for me to make :P. If i was making geometry dash i wouldn't be near finished. Maybe sometime after my exams i'll add some animations and features so that it's more interesting.