Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [MAC][Linux?]I published an SFML applet: ToneBoards  (Read 17698 times)

kipbits

• View Profile
[MAC][Linux?]I published an SFML applet: ToneBoards
« on: May 09, 2016, 04:27:27 pm »
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Happy 2020!
I recently found some time, in 3.5 years since first publishing my app on the Mac Appstore, to fix the sound files for ToneBoards. For those interested, you can now download the new tones on github. Install by dragging and dropping the contents of the TONESv15 into your toneboards app package TONESv10 folder (sorry, I'm on limited time, and can't make it fancy).

...I still plan to port to linux(recently been playing with MX Linux) although stuff just keeps getting in the way. Anyway, I thought I'd share these before I forgot about them. These new sounds are designed to play better on small laptop speakers, especially the base notes! Maybe I'll provide an explanation of how I made them later...

Update the Update

I posted some demos along with my notes and code for the update

...still planning to port to linux some time. ....must find my lost code...

Update: Happy New Years 2018!
I decided to publish the source for ToneBoards. I just haven't had as much time to work on it as I would have liked this past year. Perhaps someone will find it useful. Also I'm kind of thinking about letting my Apple developer account lapse. It's just another expense for me right now, and was sort of a hassle to set up. I'm becoming more interested in other ways to assure users of quality/integrity of a piece of software. I've recently discovered a makeshift alternative to apple developer certificates(i think). I mean what is the point of code signing when you can just compare digests using openSSL?

Below are some Github links, and I'm also posting digests and filesizes. I think this should provide a way for users to gain 99% of the assurances provided by the Appstore(with a couple added steps on the user's part).

https://github.com/kipbits/ToneBoards/releases
xxd ToneBoards.app.zip
size(hex):0db4330

openssl dgst -sha512 ToneBoards.app.zip
SHA512(ToneBoards.app.zip)= ef8c3a1e54301c8a6ad0e53706e4e5e5c9f0fc85ee4d8d1aee6faf195801494a1b919b02be1de4455f005d04308270b8e8c3c06c254849a7a4c0b74ed6a2881c

https://github.com/kipbits/SFML-2.3.2-Updated-plist_altered-keyboard/releases
xxd Frameworks.tar.gz
size(hex):0367110

openssl dgst -sha512 Frameworks.tar.gz
SHA512(Frameworks.tar.gz)= 3524096384e6337b654a85286f91bebdd86534d0719e735f4e29b40687efb36d4de9add983d56a12c78cf2f58aba3876104f2f3b851d39dbb8df5131070448c9

Someone with an international keyboard please test this for functionality with non-US-English keyboards.

Thanks, and Enjoy
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:03:52 pm by kipbits »

kipbits

• View Profile
Re: [MAC]I published an SFML applet: ToneBoards
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:51:43 pm »
I should probably include the description:
ToneBoards lets you turn your keyboard into a configurable & dynamic, chromatic-tone-generator. Choose from a selection of keyboard-tone-mappings, or create your own custom map. Configurations supports a range of 128 chromatic keys, and 255 microtonal key positions, from C-1 to G#9. Even numbers represent the Chromatic keys, while odds represent the inbetween microtonal keys. To create a new config, fill out the empty_template_cfg_.txt file in the app package, and save it with a new name in sConfigFiles folder.

I've included some extra cfg files on the github release: https://github.com/kipbits/ToneBoards/releases/tag/1.0.2

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:08:59 pm by kipbits »

kipbits

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:18:17 pm »
And there is some hidden sample code inside the CFG_zip(try looking under janko or wicki-hayden), to help with procedurally generating new CFG's.

(doing it by hand would take some time).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:12:15 pm by kipbits »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:45 am »
So... it plays a sound on a key press with a pitch determined by the key?

I think it would be a good idea (if not just somewhat polite) if you were to put that really long list in that post above inside spoiler tags:
(click to show/hide)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Elias Daler

• View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:52:27 am »
Looks pretty fun! Great job. :)
Tomb Painter, Re:creation dev (abandoned, doing other things) | edw.is | @EliasDaler

kipbits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 03:34:54 pm »
So... it plays a sound on a key press with a pitch determined by the key?

I think it would be a good idea (if not just somewhat polite) if you were to put that really long list in that post above inside spoiler tags:
(click to show/hide)

Thanks Hapax!!!!

kipbits

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:25:26 pm »
Well, downloads have exeded 500 copies in the first 2 weeks! Still working on a companion app, although it might be a few months before its release. This app will be more fully functioned, and geared towards composition rather than performance. I'm also planning to release the companion app as a paid app($$).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:13:12 pm by kipbits »

kipbits

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:57:25 am »
I generated a bunch of piano roll configs(see Piano.zip) for those who want a more familiar layout.

I'm still conducting my experiment...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:15:52 pm by kipbits »

kipbits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:51:58 pm »
Hey all, been awhile...
After neglecting ToneBoards for a couple months, I've decided to end my experiment. ToneBoards is free again. I've havent really had much free time this summer and have put a sequel on the backburner for the moment. A $ had a pretty strong effect on downloads, and I've decided I would rather have people download and enjoy ToneBoards. Hopefully I'll get some time in the next few months to work on a more fully functioned sequel.

Thanks all who downloaded!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:17:25 pm by kipbits »

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 06:06:08 pm »
Looks like you have the beginnings of a keylogger there  ;D

I noticed that your 'octaves' suggest that you use alternate rows for semi-tone intervals but it would be easier to 'play' if they were laid out more like a piano keyboard  :P (e.g. sometimes two 'white' keys are a tone apart and sometimes they are only a semi-tone apart)
Something like this:

(the image isn't great; I found it online)
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

kipbits

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 07:21:24 pm »
You are right Hapax! but I was more going for the beginnings of an accessiblilty item for the visually impared  ;) :P

I do have some standard a bunch of piano roll configs in Piano.zip if thats more your style. I kind of like the Janko layouts though because you dont end up with any non-sounding-keys.

I'm glad someone seams to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:18:40 pm by kipbits »

Hapax

• View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:17:03 pm »
I don't have a Mac so I've only seen the videos you posted :P

Still, it sounds pretty when there is no musical design (reminds me of an SFML game). Trying to play actual songs is less important here, I would think.
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

kipbits

• View Profile
Re: [MAC][Linux?]I published an SFML applet: ToneBoards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 11:56:50 pm »
Mac Developer stuff 's been getting me down, I still have not made much progress on the companion app. I was thinking of trying to port to linux. Could anyone give me any leads on where i might publish my app if i do port it.

Does Ubuntu still have an app store?

It's been awhile since i've done anything linux

Edit: it looks like there are many choices: https://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:08:30 pm by kipbits »

kipbits

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 07:08:03 pm »
Ok, I've set up 3 different partitions now, and am having all sorts of trouble finding the right sdks and stuff. I'm wondering if some linux veterans have any preferred distro & setup? It just seems like there are too many choices, and I don't know where to start. I'm currently trying for a setup so I can later publish to GNOME Software. This article seemed to suggest that might be the best way to go. Is this the recommended way to distribute? or should i be heading in some other direction?

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 01:09:44 pm »
You should probably ask that question on a linux dedicated forum if you want valuable feedback. ;-)
SFML / OS X developer

anything