Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Simple Tile Creator  (Read 7333 times)

iEPCBM

• View Profile
Simple Tile Creator
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:11:27 am »
Short Summary:  Simple Tile Creator is a program, that assembles a sequence of images into one image.

Description

Simple Tile Creator is a simple program with open source software, distributed under the New BSD license. It is using SFML 2.3.2 for loading, handling and save images. Allows you to create tile animation files from a number of files-frames. In addition, it can create tile animation with various size and extensions (All extensions of images that supports SFML 2.3.2) of frames.

Usage

Here is YouTube video-tutorial "How to use it?"

That manual in text format:
  • Arrange the pictures in order. For example: "first frame, second frame, third frame, etc.", and not as "second frame, tenth frame, seventeenth frame, etc."
  • Select frames
    • To create vertical animation, it is necessary to use the mouse to drag them into the program "SimpleTileCreatorVertical.exe"
    • To create horizontal animation, it is necessary to use the mouse to drag them into the program "SimpleTileCreatorHorizontal .exe"
    (NOTICE: The cursor should fall on the first frame)
  • The program will create a "output.png" file and will display a message: "Render is completed!". This file is assembled tile animation.
    (IMPORTANT: Before assembling another tile animation you should be satisfied that the previous animation has been renamed and/or moved).
Examples

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Feedback

You can always leave your suggestions, questions or bug reports below. In free time I will try answer them.  :)

Links

Simple Tile Creator in SourceForge
Simple Tile Creator License

Logos

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Сonclusion
Simple Tile Creator , albeit simple program, but in my opinion it is very useful.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:39:37 pm by iEPCBM »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Simple Tile Animator
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 11:17:47 am »
This is interesting. Good work!

I'm not sure it should have "animator" in the title as it doesn't actually animate anything  :P

You may want to consider how the image will end up if there are many frames: does it only stick to a single column/row?

The amount of wasted space when mixing differently sized images can be rather...wasteful. You may want to consider if keeping them in order is more important than re-arranging them and packing them more tightly as orders can be re-assembled after loading. You could even save a text file (or xml/json) with the rectangles of each packed image  ;)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

iEPCBM

• View Profile
Re: Simple Tile Animator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:41:45 pm »
I'm not sure it should have "animator" in the title as it doesn't actually animate anything  :P
Yes. You are absolutely right. I have invented few names for this software.
  • Simple Tile Creator
  • Simple Tile Assembler
  • Simple Tile Animation Creator
  • Simple Tile Animation Assembler
  • Tile Creator
  • Tile Assembler
  • Tile Animation Creator
  • Tile Animation Assembler
Which one is the most successful?

You may want to consider how the image will end up if there are many frames: does it only stick to a single column/row?

The amount of wasted space when mixing differently sized images can be rather...wasteful. You may want to consider if keeping them in order is more important than re-arranging them and packing them more tightly as orders can be re-assembled after loading. You could even save a text file (or xml/json) with the rectangles of each packed image  ;)

I will try to realize this in future versions.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:47:16 pm by iEPCBM »

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simple Tile Creator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:25:01 pm »
Note that you can do the same thing (and more) with Imagemagick : http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/#montage

iEPCBM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:34:49 pm »
Note that you can do the same thing (and more) with Imagemagick : http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/#montage

It just motivates me to do better.  :D

Jesper Juhl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:06:55 pm »
I didn't mean to discourage or incourage you. I simply wanted to point out that you are solving a solved problem. What you do from there is your own business.

anything