Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What I have to do to enter in SFML Team in the future :-)  (Read 2940 times)

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
What I have to do to enter in SFML Team in the future :-)
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:34:05 am »
Hey guys...this question is bothering me quite some time...so the question is..what (or how) I can do to become a member of SFML Team in the future? If some one of the team can answer or if Laurent Gomila want to answer...I'll be grateful...sorry for the bad English...

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: What I have to do to enter in SFML Team in the future :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:04:26 am »
Before being part of the SFML team, you should first become an important member of the community. Which means doing major contributions to the code and/or to important discussions about design, technical points, management, etc.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:19:32 pm »
Gotcha...but how works the patents in the forum? for example...my patent now is newbie...when I'll jump for the next patent? is you Laurent that manage this?

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:24 pm »
After 50 posts you become a Jr. Member, after 100 you become a Full Member, 250 Sr. Member and anything above 500 is a Hero Member. The title SFML Team is manually set for SFML Team members that are selected by the existing team.
Notice: These titles have no real impact beyond being a visual enhancement.

The SFML Team is the team who more or less actively develops on SFML, holds internal discussions and makes decisions on what gets prioritized or what gets accepted into SFML's source code.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:43:06 pm »
Thanks...All you guys...SFML is awesome!!!

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 10:37:57 pm »
I'm really curious... Why do you want to join the SFML Team anyway? There is really nothing that Team members can do that non-Team members can't.

If you ask me, it has more to do with responsibility and accountability than anything else.

SFML has reached the point where just as many contributions are made to the codebase by non-maintainers (i.e. non-Team members) as the maintainers. Maybe at some point, non-maintainers might even make more contributions.

Being part of the Team simply means that we take care of the "dirty work" that just has to be done e.g. release management, CI, website/documentation maintenance etc. It really isn't a flattering job if that is what you were expecting. Any time something breaks really bad, we are more or less the ones who get shouted at. ;D

The internal discussions mentioned above are also more about the "status quo" of development and general maintenance issues than anything else. Any time we want to discuss new features or implementations/bugs, we start publicly visible threads. Most of the communication between Team members actually takes place in public places such as the forum/GitHub/IRC as opposed to internal ones.

Considering what I've said, I hope you can see now that being in the Team isn't a privilege, it's more of a formal designation. The Team was originally created out of the need for secondary maintainers since Laurent could no longer invest as much time as he previously did and as such, general progress was slowing down a bit more than the community was ready to accept. We offered to help with maintenance tasks (such as the website and reviewing feature requests/PRs etc.) and he accepted. The rest, as they say, is history... :)
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

Carlos Augusto Br Cpp

• Programming is life
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 01:39:40 am »
I'm really curious... Why do you want to join the SFML Team anyway? There is really nothing that Team members can do that non-Team members can't.

Hehe  ;D its more about curiousity... and to say the truth... You guys from the Team is really awesome and its like an inspiration for me... ;) but thanks all of you guys for the quick reply