Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Free IDE Hunting  (Read 3040 times)

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
Free IDE Hunting
« on: December 19, 2016, 06:14:51 pm »
Needless to say as much as I like Visual Studio I can't keep up with its massive updates and likelihood of needing to pay for the better versions.

Are there any other Free IDEs out there that work well with C# and the .Net Framework and other .Net languages? Ones that also can compile SFML if needed?

Been looking into things like SharpDevelop but not sure if it has everything needed up to date to compile something like SFML.

Any others people have that might work?
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Free IDE Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:36:33 pm »
A bit off topic here on the SFML forum. ;)

First off I wonder why you think you'll need to get a better version of VS?
Also if you can't tell whether SharpDevelop will fit your needs, how should we be able to judge? Just try it!

Anyways, I don't develop in C# so I wouldn't really know much.
Doing a quick Google search revealed that MonoDevelop is suggesting to use Xamarin Studio, which was bought by Microsoft earlier this year and made available for free.

Although it won't be free in the near future, you can apply for a EAP of Rider, Jetbrains' new IDE for C#.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:42:51 pm »
If you enjoy using Visual Studio, just stick to it. You can use the Community Edition for free without any problem. If you're grossing more than 1 million USD a year you'll have to pay for it, but even then the 600$ or so won't hurt your budget anymore.

The CE has the very same feature set as the Pro version. The higher priced versions mostly offer team and testing features (like the ability to go back in time while debugging), but for your day to day development you won't miss out any features that I could think of which you'll find in any other competing product.

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 04:39:43 pm »
Sorry about that couldn't remember where to put this type of question here but was also wondering what other IDEs were used with SFML that could compile it or at least have been use to do so.

That said yep was planning on upgrading to the newest community version of visual studio but also wondering about other options. Always good to have equivalent backup options in case one becomes unusable for whatever reason. :)
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 07:05:06 pm »
You can use any text editor, it doesn't have to be a full IDE, because in the end you can just compile your program using the command line. :)

anything