Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Correction on tutorial page  (Read 4534 times)

Ricky

• View Profile
    • Tejada
    • Email
Correction on tutorial page
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:07:10 am »
The problem can be found near the top of the tutorial page titled SFML and Linux (http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.4/start-linux.php)

This is the problem:
Option 1 is the preferred one; if the version of SFML that you want to install is available in the official repository, then install it using your package manager. For example, on Debian you would do:

sudo apt-get install libsfml-dev
Option 3 requires more work: you need to ensure all of SFML's dependencies including their development headers are available, make sure CMake is installed, and manually execute some commands. This will result in a package which is tailored to your system.
If you want to go this way, there's a dedicated tutorial on building SFML yourself.

Finally, option 2 is a good choice for quick installation if SFML is not available as an official package. Download the SDK from the download page, unpack it and copy the files to your preferred location: either a separate path in your personal folder (like /home/me/sfml), or a standard path (like /usr/local).

If you already had an older version of SFML installed, make sure that it won't conflict with the new version!

This is the solution:
Option 1 is the preferred one; if the version of SFML that you want to install is available in the official repository, then install it using your package manager. For example, on Debian you would do:

sudo apt-get install libsfml-dev
Option 2 requires more work: you need to ensure all of SFML's dependencies including their development headers are available, make sure CMake is installed, and manually execute some commands. This will result in a package which is tailored to your system.
If you want to go this way, there's a dedicated tutorial on building SFML yourself.

Finally, option 3 is a good choice for quick installation if SFML is not available as an official package. Download the SDK from the download page, unpack it and copy the files to your preferred location: either a separate path in your personal folder (like /home/me/sfml), or a standard path (like /usr/local).

If you already had an older version of SFML installed, make sure that it won't conflict with the new version!

This way of wording things makes more sense given the numbers.
Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Correction on tutorial page
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:48:59 am »
Good catch! I'll send a PR in a minute to fix both English and French versions.
SFML / OS X developer

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:10:21 pm »
The option numbers are referring to the number in the list above so the correction makes it now incorrect.

The solution, though, is to swap list item 2 with list item 3.
i.e.
  • Install it directly from your distribution's package repository
  • Get the source code, build it and install it
  • Download the precompiled SDK and manually copy the files
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:41:52 am »
Yes, you're correct! Will be fixed soon.

Side note: this new order is better I think 'cause the precompiled SDK for Linux might not be compatible with every Linux install.
SFML / OS X developer