Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Advice on physics engine  (Read 1411 times)

void90

• View Profile
Advice on physics engine
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:54:31 pm »
Hi all,

I am trying to make a top-down view game similar to naval battle games with only 2D icons of ships, submarines, airplanes, missiles, etc. Like in this picture:

I want to be able to simulate these objects moving in 3D behind the scenes. Even though they will be rendered as 2D icons, airplanes and submarines for example would need to handle altitude/depth and maybe pitch. All this for controls and instruments.

I started learning 3D physics for game to try to code it myself, but I think this route would take much longer (no advanced math skills :D). I am also doing this project in my spare time, so time is somewhat limited.

Can anyone recommend a “light-weight” physics engine or code that only handles 3D movement and rotations? The ones I checked seem to be overkill for this game idea.

Is there an easier way to maybe fake 3D behind the scenes since it will not have any actual 3D renders?

Thanks for any tips!

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on physics engine
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:22:00 am »
As you said, engines would be overkill. Learn some trigonometry, basic movement is not that hard (and it's mostly built into SFML already). Just do the vector math yourself.