Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Rocket Rider [closest I ever got to finishing something]  (Read 2100 times)

Streq

• View Profile
Rocket Rider [closest I ever got to finishing something]
« on: May 30, 2017, 07:32:35 am »
Hello everyone! I've been lurking this forum for some time but never really had anything to post until now. This is my second "real" project with SFML(first one became an unmanagable mess of code which was really hard to keep building upon), and the one that actually resembles a game the most.
It's a pretty simple platformer, you control a guy in a rocket who can shoot a hook at walls which you can swing on (kind of like spiderman or attack on titan, if you will).

The goal is to touch the "finish line"-looking blocks of each level in order to get to the next one.
Some levels may also have some handicap like "you are not allowed to use the rope/steering wheel/fuel".

You can accelerate with W, rotate with A or D, and throw the hook by clicking with the mouse.

I used box2d for physics, which made it really easy to implement the rope mechanics.
As of right now the game has no sound nor any kind of "complicated" visual effects and needs some polishing, but it's playable.
If you hit a wall, depending on whatever box2d feels like how hard the impact is, the player might die, resetting the level (there's no dying animation yet, I'd like it to be like N-The way of the ninja, which is pretty awesome and fun to watch).

The maps are loaded from png files, where each pixel color equals a certain object (black equals wall, green equals player, etc), makes it pretty easy to make and edit maps but also pretty limiting since not a whole lot of data can be stored in 32 bits while also keeping colors distinguishable from each other.

This SICK DRIFT TRICK took way more tries than I'm willing to admit.

the stunning graphics are all by me.

It was pretty fun working on it. And it really helped to develop my understanding of SFML in general.
I intend to add a 2 player race mode with split screen, but without the Hook since there's only one mouse :'(, (unless I make it like twin stick games where a certain key equals shooting in a certain direction, I'll see).

I'll upload an executable soon.

You can look at the code here and try compiling it yourself, (as I said, you need box2d and SFML), you don't really want to, though, it's a mix of spanish and english that wasn't intended to be read by other humans :P.

Hope you guys like it ! :) I'll update the post when I have something new.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:20:48 pm by Streq »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
Re: Rocket Rider [closest I ever got to finishing something]
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:48:13 am »
Hi and welcome.

Most of your images are broken. Try hosting them on a permanent hosting service such as imgur.
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

Streq

• View Profile
Re: Rocket Rider [closest I ever got to finishing something]
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:05:48 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Most of your images are broken. Try hosting them on a permanent hosting service such as imgur.
Thanks! first time ever uploading a gif, had the feeling this would happen lol, I'll try imgur.

anything