Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: No PDB Symbols Loaded for SFML Graphics  (Read 2785 times)

Josheir

• View Profile
    • Email
No PDB Symbols Loaded for SFML Graphics
« on: October 02, 2017, 03:06:14 pm »
I am getting the message : <information not available, no symbols loaded for  sfml-graphics-d-2.dll> when hovering over the sf::Text object name for Visual C++ using Visual Studio 2017 (SFML).  I am wondering how do I load the symbols so I can view the text object's text for example? I am having trouble debugging without the symbols.

Are there any pdb files available or can I create them myself?

Could you please describe this in a full, easy manner for me?

Thank you,

Josheir
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:44:06 pm by Josheir »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: No PDB Symbols Loaded for SFML Graphics
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 05:00:54 pm »
If you build SFML yourself you can select to create them in CMake. Alternatively you csn use the debug libs in debug mode, those contain the debug symbols and you can more fully debug them since they aren't optimized.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Josheir

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »
Well I put the pdb file for the windows graphics-d-2.dll in the appropriate folder with the d-2.dlls and I no longer receive the message about no symbols loaded for the text object.  However, there is still no actual string readout when I hover over sf:text object it is like it is incomplete.

It seems that the appropriate pdb would be : sfml-graphics-d-2.pdb not : sfml-graphics-d-pdb although like I said it does change the readout a bit and somewhat loads the symbols.

I looked at cmake and it looks very complicated.

Is there any easy way to accomplish the ability to simply read the text for an sfml::text object.  It doesn't seem to be a very unusual or far fetched request.

Thank you,

Josheir

Rosme

• Proud member of the shoe club
    • View Profile
    • Code-Concept
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »
Actually, this is an IDE configuration. Visual Studio can't know how to read a sf::Text, or the underlying sf::String(remember that sf::Text is not the text itself, but a graphic representation of a sf::String).

So you need to tell Visual Studio(you can most definitely find some resources by Googling) how it is suppose to read sf::Text for the debugger, and to point it to the sf::String(and of course tell him how to read a sf::String).
GitHub
Code Concept
Twitter
Rosme on IRC/Discord