Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A wish for the upcoming 2.4.3 release  (Read 3126 times)

CyanDog

• View Profile
A wish for the upcoming 2.4.3 release
« on: October 05, 2017, 08:40:18 pm »
Hello, I am currently using old software (Windows XP, Visual Studio 2008 and 2010).

I wish that the next few SFML 2.4.x releases will continue to support legacy systems. I do understand that there is a natural urge to abandon unsupported operating systems and start using improved standards such as C++11. Of course I am in favor of such progress for SFML 3, however I also want backward compatibility to be maintained for a few more years, in the form of SFML 2.4.x releases.

As a Windows XP user I am already abandoned by the developers of MSYS2, Cygwin and nuwen MinGW, for no good technical reason and it is displeasing. So please consider keeping the 2.4.x releases backward compatible and written in C++98. Kind regards.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: A wish for the upcoming 2.4.3 release
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:49:16 pm »
As a Windows XP user
Can you describe the reasons why you're stuck on such an old system?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

CyanDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:59:06 pm »
As a Windows XP user
Can you describe the reasons why you're stuck on such an old system?

My choice is one part irrational (personal preference and nostalgia) and one part rational (old hardware works better with old software).

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:31:27 pm »
There's likely no 2.4.3 release, the next one will be 2.5.0, but as mentioned before, we haven't dropped Windows XP yet, however we also won't go out of our way to test compatibility. It's an old (and unsafe) OS, as such we will depend on people actually reporting issues and more importantly testing potential fixes.

Keep in mind, that this support will unlikely last forever, as we might potentially introduce newer features into the API, that won't work on XP (e.g. DPI handling). It's already hard enough to build software for (modern) Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS and Android that we can't really invest too much time into XP for one or two people's nostalgic experience. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 10:38:30 pm »
As a Windows XP user I am already abandoned by the developers of MSYS2, Cygwin and nuwen MinGW, for no good technical reason and it is displeasing. So please consider keeping the 2.4.x releases backward compatible and written in C++98.
It's worth noting that Microsoft itself has already given up on XP.
As for C++ version, as long as SFML is in version 2, it should still be C++98. However, version 3 will likely require C++11 (or later). So, all upgrades in SFML version 2 should be fine for you (excepting any XP-only bugs that might be missed).
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

anything