Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Problems with sf::SoundBuffer  (Read 10362 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Problems with sf::SoundBuffer
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 11:16:43 pm »
What if you remove your manager from this code, and use a sf::SoundBuffer directly?
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

CBenni::O

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
This worked...

Code: [Select]
sf::SoundBuffer* SB = new sf::SoundBuffer;
if(!SB->LoadFromFile("nice_music.ogg"))return 1;
sf::Sound* MS = new sf::Sound();
MS->SetBuffer(*SB);
MS->Play();
sf::Sleep(1.0f);

But I'm too lazy to test it in deph :) I think that I did a mistake somewhere, because it works now...

bye, CBenni::O
42!
Metal will never die!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 06:42:23 pm »
Why do you allocate everything with new? There's no need for that. I already pointed out, what problems come with dynamic allocations and why alternatives like RAII and automatic memory management are really worthwhile. ;)

If you encapsulated the low-level parts of your code, then you'll have to worry far less about errors, memory leaks and undefined behaviour in your programs. I even guess this problem here might not have happened with a clearly structured design... :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »
What I have above, is just a short snippet of a Program I used for testing... in my example Program (that I will release tonight :D), I use auto_ptr's if not local variables...

One good thing: my Framework does not have any memoryleaks and is exeption-safe (I hope so ;) ) thanks to "Effektiv C++ Programmieren"
Thank you for that tipp :)

42!
Metal will never die!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 10:57:08 pm »
I use auto_ptr

std::auto_ptr is a dangerous beast with its move semantics, I personnaly never use it. Are you sure that you use it properly?

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 11:23:14 pm »
Yes, I only use it in my example program, in all other cases I use some kind of RAII :D

Download of my Framework

42!
Metal will never die!

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 12:37:42 am »
Quote from: "CBenni::O"
One good thing: my Framework does not have any memoryleaks and is exeption-safe (I hope so ;) ) thanks to "Effektiv C++ Programmieren"
Ah okay, I didn't know that. Congratulations then! :)

Quote from: "Laurent"
std::auto_ptr is a dangerous beast with its move semantics, I personnaly never use it. Are you sure that you use it properly?
At the moment, std::auto_ptr is the only smart-pointer that's really part of the standard library (shared_ptr is in TR1, scoped_ptr only in Boost (I still don't understand why)). Of course, one has to work with auto_ptr carefully, because as you said, it doesn't have common value semantics and can't be used like other objects, for example in STL-containers. Also things like that can be very tricky:
Code: [Select]
void func(std::auto_ptr<X> ptr);
I like std::auto_ptr because it is one of the few ways to employ move-semantics in current C++. For example, it works well with factory methods. Raw possessing pointers are rather unconvenient (especially regarding exception safety), shared_ptr would be the alternative. But why share ownership when we need to transfer it? ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 08:11:12 am »
Is your demo supposed to show the problem? It seemed to work fine when I tested it, I mean sounds played properly.

By the way, I looked at your code and there are indeed too many pointers and dynamic allocations ;)
None of them are really necessary, and you have many leaks because you don't destroy all the objects that you create with new.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »
No, It's the final version of my framework...

All I need to add is the Release ()-Function in ResourceManager, but this is no Problem...

And:
By the way, I looked at your code and there are indeed too many pointers and dynamic allocations ;)
None of them are really necessary, and you have many leaks because you don't destroy all the objects that you create with new.

Are you sure? I didn't find any Hidden memory leaks using vld, and auto_ptr or whatever does nothing else but to allocate and free Memory... And I Hate to return auto_ptr's, because you get More and more get()'s etc...

42!
Metal will never die!

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:01 pm »

Sorry, I'm lost. Is your problem solved now?

Are you sure? I didn't find any Hidden memory leaks using vld, and auto_ptr or whatever does nothing else but to allocate and free Memory...

I'm talking about your framework, not the demo (which is the only place where you use std::auto_ptr, right?). An example of memory leak is in FloatingObj: the image used by the sprite is allocated with new but never deleted.

You should really not allocate everything dynamically ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 12:46:04 pm »

Sorry, I'm lost. Is your problem solved now?

Yes, it is... But I don't know what the error was... It had something to do what I do with my Resource after Aquiring it...

I'm talking about your framework, not the demo (which is the only place where you use std::auto_ptr, right?). An example of memory leak is in FloatingObj: the image used by the sprite is allocated with new but never deleted.

You should really not allocate everything dynamically ;)

Yes, thank you... I've changed it... There ist only 1 dynamic Allocation per FloatingObj-Constructor now...

42!
Metal will never die!

anything