Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Adding 'SFML community' to SFML authors  (Read 3610 times)

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Adding 'SFML community' to SFML authors
« on: November 03, 2017, 11:59:35 am »
I've noticed that many projects list 'project community' or so as last author or first author or something similar. SFML doesn't and just asks for help, which seems like there are the 9 authors and no one else contributing as if no one helped yet or something. It seems this never came up (?) when growing the team or making the contribution guidelines.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Adding 'SFML community' to SFML authors
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 12:47:37 pm »
You mean like a list of all the people who contributed to SFML? Like the GitHub contributor list?

Or just: list of authors "and the SFML community"?
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:55:50 pm »
No, not any sort of list, I didn't even think of that and I'd feel bad with suggesting something like that since I'm #14 on it despite making 3 very small commits (one of which is a one liner copy paste mistake someone noticed and anyone could have fixed, one is a feature implementation of unsigned color constructor that I suggested but it might have as well been someone else's idea or code since both are simple and the last one required a bit of debugging that involved recompiling SFML a few times, but that one also only happened because someone else had found and reported that bug), I don't think that'd be fair to go into names or lists and ignore how much everyone does. Even I'm here only because of someone writing about SFML on his blog about his game, otherwise I'd probably end up using SDL which is what my university course was using at the time I was getting into C++.

Any sort of list would also ignore situations where people suggested features or additions or debugged stuff but didn't get the code in themselves, I had situations like that too and I don't want to have the though in the back of my head that I could have earned more 'credit' on a list by cramming a PR out instead of just helping without getting in the way or trying to one up someone.

Even last month we had a situation where someone else had found a bug in the caching code, I did a bit of digging to find out what exactly it was and then step off and let binary1248 make the commit that fixed it, as he said he would the day before, thus only saving him few minutes of debugging. I'd say all three of us helped and the degrees vary depending on how you look at it (I could have made that fix or binary could have done that debugging or someone else entirely could have done both, but in any case only because of the person who found the edge case and reported it in the first place) so the only fair thing is to say the three of us helped together with that problem and not go into any more details or there is a risk of promoting pissing contests and competition instead of cooperation.

And there's also the feature requests, the bug reports on the forum, the documentation wording or content mistakes and fixes and improvements, the wiki, the libraries and games that use SFML and thus spread it and then completely non-attributable stuff like discussions around this all and the good PR we get for having a friendly forum because of the people who hang around to answer questions and look into problems. In most extreme case people who help don't even have to know SFML internals or how to use git. That is still some help too and it can't be measured or ignored so the only fair solution is a one line change to add 'SFML community' as the last 'author' or a one liner thank you in the main readme on GitHub. It just feels weird how there is no mention this is a community project despite all the other stuff done in that direction with more team members and the contributor guidelines.

TL;DR:
Or just: list of authors "and the SFML community"?
Yes.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:56:26 am »
I say why not, it's a nice gesture.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:54:51 am »
Yes, indeed, why not. Feel free to provide a PR for that.  ;)
SFML / OS X developer

anything