Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ludum Dare 40 - Master Farmer  (Read 2483 times)

Paul

• View Profile
Ludum Dare 40 - Master Farmer
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:31:04 pm »
Well, here is my first entry for Ludum Dare. It was fun and little bit hectic. Game itself is not great miracle but every finished project counts :)

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/master-farmer

Uses CSFML + Pascal bindings.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:27:33 pm by Paul »

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ludum Dare 40 - Master Farmer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:52:51 pm »
Ah, a fellow Free Pascal connoisseur. :P Nice. I thought about making an LCL app for config (if I ever create a game so complex it needs one) like you did but not about writing an entire game in Pascal. By the way, Lazarus complains that I'm missing all of the uSFML_ units in your source release.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:54:26 pm by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:41:09 pm »
Ah, sorry missing units (SFML and my engine) you can find here: http://slavicgames.com/download/LD_40_SFML_units.rar
Unpack it somewhere and setup paths in project in Lazarus (CTRL + SHIFT + F11).

But source code is too chaotic copy & paste style - if you have 3 days to make game.. there is no time keep it in order. Also my engine is incomplete, sound/music manager is missing and some parts needs "final touch":)

I think Pascal is great language for games. Of course it lacks perfection, the possibility of optimization and compliter result vs C/C++.. but you can code really fast and it's easily readable, learning curve is great for beginners. Also it's not so bad in performance if you stay on lower level with pointers and array's instead of OOP for game objects used in mass numbers.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:43:01 pm by Paul »

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:07 pm »
I think Pascal is plenty fast to write, compile and execute and totally fit for games but I can't code much in it myself. Why do you use Pascal instead of C++ or C# or Python anyway? I used it for a certain program because of how nice LCL and Lazarus are for simple GUI work and because it was 'free' for me to pick them up because my first language was Delphi.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:54:18 pm by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:03:41 pm »
Because C/C++ needs too much time and effort to create something. Even if you're using basic things like strings, arrays (vectors), pointers.. Syntax isn't fast readable, structure is unclear. If I get even some simple compiler errors in Visual Studio.. I'm completely lost :) In Lazarus/FPC I need few seconds to find problem and fix it.

The only thing I'm worried about is performance. FPC compiler efficiency is far behind C/C++ Visual Studio. But it is still evolving slowly and I'm not making 3D games. Next big plus is that I can create level/map editors superfast, just put SFML window in LCL Form (Panel).

I'm also learning C++, which gives me bigger knowledge and overview. C#, Python, Java are too slow.

anything