Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Trying sfml 2.2 dotnet - have some beginner questions.  (Read 2505 times)

itsjustme

Trying sfml 2.2 dotnet - have some beginner questions.
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:59:49 pm »
I need graphics capabilities to allow some animations in windows on a form, so I have some questions.

1. I am using visual basic dotnet. I understand that opentk is used by sfml. Is it ok to skip installing opentk? since sfml uses pre-built libraries internally? I am not doing any serious 3d.

2. I would like to do frame for frame animation. So I have a 640x360 picturebox right now with gdi+ and what I am doing is pasting a background and then I paste animated sprites on top using my custom built SpriteAnimation class. It's very low on performance as you can imagine gdi+, so I would like to rewrite it using sfml. My game is mostly casual adventure gaming. Kind of a graphical text adventure with selection elements. Can sfml handle forms and pictureboxes like this? What would be the best way to set up my gui if I must use windows forms with visual basic.

3. Is there a way with dotnet to play video sequences. I have avi files that I can easily convert to mp4 or some other format. I was wondering if sfml dotnet has any capabilities for this.

4. Just a friendly question at last. Is anyone here developing adventure type games? Do you have examples of your project that I can look at to see how sfml dotnet handles it? I don't need source code, just some video examples like youtube or something.

Thanks

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Trying sfml 2.2 dotnet - have some beginner questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:13:23 am »
I understand that opentk is used by sfml
The SFML libraries don't depend on OpenTK. It is only used for examples that require OpenGL calls.

Can sfml handle forms and pictureboxes like this? What would be the best way to set up my gui if I must use windows forms with visual basic.
As far as I know, you can embed a SFML drawing area into any kind of control. There are many forum posts about it, have a look.

3. Is there a way with dotnet to play video sequences. I have avi files that I can easily convert to mp4 or some other format. I was wondering if sfml dotnet has any capabilities for this.
No, but there is a SFML-based library that can do it: sfeMovie. However I don't think it has a .Net binding.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer