Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Apple deprecating OpenGL  (Read 3570 times)

Sub

• View Profile
Apple deprecating OpenGL
« on: June 06, 2018, 04:38:00 am »
In a move that I feel justifies my dislike of Apple, they've announced that they're deprecating OpenGL.

Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders.

Metal is designed from the ground up to provide the best access to the modern GPUs on iOS, macOS, and tvOS devices. Metal avoids the overhead inherent in legacy technologies and exposes the latest graphics processing functionality. Unified support for graphics and compute in Metal lets your apps efficiently utilize the latest rendering techniques. For information about developing apps and games using Metal, see the developer documentation for Metal, Metal Performance Shaders, and MetalKit. For information about migrating OpenGL code to Metal, see Mixing Metal and OpenGL Rendering in a View.

In regards to how this impacts SFML, I'm assuming this isn't the end of the world, because I imagine that it will be a long time before OpenGL is actually removed from MacOS.  Also from what I can gather, SFML is looking to move into Vulkan sometime in the future (?).

Still though, you gotta love Apple....