Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML on NVIDIA Jetson nano  (Read 6880 times)

DoctorRabbit

• View Profile
SFML on NVIDIA Jetson nano
« on: April 29, 2020, 07:55:47 am »
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has experience with gettint SFML to work on the Jetson product line from NVIDIA? I would like to use it on a Jetson Nano but am not sure if SFML is supported at all on these platforms.

Thanks!

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: SFML on NVIDIA Jetson nano
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 02:31:12 am »
Same story as all the other embedded systems including mobile devices: SFML's support for OpenGL ES is currently still "lacking".
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

DoctorRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:21:39 am »
Hey, thanks for your quick reply.
Looking at the official site (https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/l4t-archived/l4t-3231/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/software_features_jetson_nano.html), OpenGL as well as OpenGL ES should  be supported. I am not sure what it means that OpenGL is supported through the OpenGL ES driver. Is that the problem?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 02:10:12 pm »
That probably means that desktop OpenGL support is emulated by the OpenGL ES driver. SFML still makes use of the pretty old OpenGL API, meaning there is a high likelihood most of the calls it makes will have to go through the emulation layer. This might lead to poor performance.

You can try to build and run SFML on the Jetson Nano. In theory it should work, however whether the performance holds up to expectations is another story.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).