Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The set up tutorial is misleading?  (Read 7749 times)

Raul_Popa

• View Profile
The set up tutorial is misleading?
« on: August 11, 2020, 08:11:41 pm »
The page at https://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.5/start-cb.php says in the second paragraph in a big red box that if you installed MinGW along with Code::Blocks you most probably SJLJ version of MinGW. Well I am a total beginner to SFML (this is my first time hearing about it) and had the SEH version of MinGW. I downloaded Code::Blocks using the link for "codeblocks-20.03mingw-32bit-setup.exe". Due to the fact that I thought Code::Blocks was 32bit I downloaded the 32bit SJLJ version of SFML and struggled for 5 hours to find out what caused my problems. Every time I tried to compile the example code it would give me some errors about the "-lsfml-graphics-d", "-lsfml-window-d" and "-lsfml-system-d" files not being found. That was really weird for me because I was sure I didn't write any "l" characters in those names and kept staring at the screen wondering what was going wrong. Only when I had the inspiration to check the MinGW folder I realised  I had the SEH version instead of the SJLJ one. It is really weird for a beginner and none of the solutions I found online helped me at all.

I am really sorry if I'm breaking any guidelines but this is my first post and I don't have any idea how to format my post or any code or links. I only realised I had the wrong version while I was writing a post in the help section of the forum so I am very glad I didn't post that sooner.