Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: macOS Metal support?  (Read 12094 times)

PWGuy

• View Profile
    • Email
macOS Metal support?
« on: December 25, 2020, 12:17:19 am »
Just curious if there is a plan to implement Metal support, meaning transitioning away from openGL on macOS ?

I just got an M1 Mac mini and so I figured the arm CPU architecture isn’t going to be the limiting factor over time but openGL is not being updated by Apple any longer, so not sure if there’s a plan to transition away?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: macOS Metal support?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 02:16:22 am »
I think at this point the limiting factor isn't our willingness to support any alternative graphics API but just finding people who are experienced enough and have the time to do the work. Considering Apple already made it clear they are moving away from OpenGL in the long term, I don't think anybody is going to push back on a Metal implementation if a pull request is submitted.

This draft pull request I submitted over a year ago suggests a direction the library can take to start moving in this direction.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

PWGuy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: macOS Metal support?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 04:33:13 pm »
I think at this point the limiting factor isn't our willingness to support any alternative graphics API but just finding people who are experienced enough and have the time to do the work. Considering Apple already made it clear they are moving away from OpenGL in the long term, I don't think anybody is going to push back on a Metal implementation if a pull request is submitted.

This draft pull request I submitted over a year ago suggests a direction the library can take to start moving in this direction.

Sounds great - thanks!

anything