Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anyone targeting 32-bit platforms?  (Read 4751 times)

SuperV1234

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Anyone targeting 32-bit platforms?
« on: December 23, 2021, 07:43:54 pm »
Hello -- we are considering removing 32-bit support from SFML 3.x.

I'm curious if anyone has actively been using SFML targeting 32-bit platforms.
If so, what's your use case?

Also, do those platforms support C++17?

Thanks.

Kvaz1r

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone targeting 32-bit platforms?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 03:36:57 pm »
My case is not statistically significant at all, but still I'm using SFML with TGUI for my own applications and sometimes on freelance. And after the third complaint that application doesn't work my default choice is Win32 for all applications. To be clear - those complaints weren't SFML-related. 
But I'm not active user of SFML and can live even without x32 out-of-the-box support.

To be honest I not understand how architecture could be related to C++ standard? Architecture about users and standard is about developers.

SuperV1234

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone targeting 32-bit platforms?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 04:35:59 pm »
My case is not statistically significant at all, but still I'm using SFML with TGUI for my own applications and sometimes on freelance. And after the third complaint that application doesn't work my default choice is Win32 for all applications. To be clear - those complaints weren't SFML-related. 
But I'm not active user of SFML and can live even without x32 out-of-the-box support.

To be honest I not understand how architecture could be related to C++ standard? Architecture about users and standard is about developers.

Thanks for sharing your use cases, that is good to know. I wasn't really clear in my OP, I was mostly thinking about people developing on 32-bit architectures rather than targeting them via cross-compilation -- in my experience those kind of people are not really interested in having updated toolchains or development environments.

Regardless, there is no consensus on the proposal of dropping 32-bit support for 3.x, so this will not happen anytime soon.

anything