Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 99 Problems / (Not So) Fresh Start  (Read 1439 times)

Kain Nobel

• View Profile
99 Problems / (Not So) Fresh Start
« on: February 20, 2023, 10:36:07 am »
I'm doing a brand new SFML deployment for an existing project.

Everything SFML has been wiped clean. My existing project still has all the relevant includes and other configurations but I can't seem to compile anything useful.

Not sure where I've gone wrong but here are my steps...

• I've downloaded the SFML-2.5.1-windows-gcc-5.1.0-tdm-32-bit eternal damnation package.
  • I've unzipped it to "C:/SFML/2.5.1/"
  • I've installed some whiz-bang TDM-GCC-32 compiler gadget.
  • I'm using an already existing install of Code::Blocks
  • Library had a problem finding the "al.h" header.
  • I've downloaded OpenAL, which one-click installed to "System32" directory.
  • Added "C:/Windows/System32/openal32.dll" to project (above all other libraries.)
  • I've copied the "GNU GCC" entry and pasted new entry for "TDM-GCC-32".
  • I've edited the "TDM-GCC-32" entry to point to directory "C:/TDM-GCC-32".

(click to show/hide)

I can't seem to find TDM-GCC 5.1.0 so I'm using TDM-GCC 10.3.0. Can I use the latest and greatest or do I have to hunt for the ancient TDM? I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Edit : I did find the link for TDM-GCC 5.1.0 but the last question still stands. Should I compile from source with 10.3.0 or should I just use 5.1.0?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:40:14 am by Kain Nobel »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: 99 Problems / (Not So) Fresh Start
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 12:44:07 pm »
The red box on the download page shall not be ignored ;D

Unless you are using a newer version of Visual Studio, the compiler versions have to match 100%!

Edit : I did find the link for TDM-GCC 5.1.0 but the last question still stands. Should I compile from source with 10.3.0 or should I just use 5.1.0?
I always recommend to be build from source, that way you can a) get the latest version (e.g. the 2.6.x branch) and b) you know it will compatible with your compiler.
Alternatively, you can also use the CMake SFML Template, but that might require more changes to your existing project.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Kain Nobel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 02:31:07 pm »
OK, thank you for your suggestions and advice.

The 35 second video is just displaying the CMake configuration as-is. None of the variables have been changed. Just unpacked the 2.6.x version of SFML and will be building it with the TDM-GCC 10.3.0 compiler utility.

NOTE : One thing I noticed is it says CMAKE_CODEBLOCKS_EXECUTABLE-NOT_FOUND. Is this a problem or will it be a problem going forward? I'm using CMake (gui) on it's own to "build from source" for the SFML library so I'm assuming it's not a problem. However, I do use Code::Blocks as the IDE for my project. Let me know if I should focus on correcting this or if it's something I don't need to worry about.

NOTE : TDM-GCC-64 is the 10.3.0 version of the compiler, will this work? Do I need to get a 32 bit version of 10.3.0? The 5.1.0 is 32 bit. The package I downloaded looks to be a 32 bit package.

Can you verify that I'm not doing anything stupid? I don't want to hit "Generate" yet.

BTW Thank you for all of your help a year ago. I've managed to start a good foundation for my project using the SFML libraries. Also, I'm slightly ahead on the development roadmap. Very exciting!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:54:17 am by Kain Nobel »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 02:44:04 pm »
Looks like it's still using the TDM 5.1.0. Make sure you remove TDM 5.1.0 from PATH, and ensure that the TDM 10.3.0 is in PATH, and then restart CMake to reload the PATH environment variable.

Otherwise it looks good.
You should now have a Code::Blocks project generated that you can open and build SFML with.

I personally suggest to set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to the path where you want SFML to be in the end or at least intermediary. Then you can just build the install target in Code::Blocks.

BTW Thank you for all of your help a year ago. I've managed to start a good foundation for my project using the SFML libraries. Also, I'm slightly ahead on the development roadmap. Very exciting!
Glad to hear and welcome back! :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Kain Nobel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 03:52:25 am »
EDIT: This might be slightly irrelevant. I'm past this step so I'm just putting it into a spoiler.

Still, I am trying to generate some usable SFML files so I can re-link them to my project again.

(click to show/hide)

Somehow I've stumbled into a circular feedback loop with ChatGPT...

(click to show/hide)

(tl;dr : The main thing of relevance in the ChatGPT log is I'm trying to figure out how to remove 3 compiler flags. The CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS entry in CMake (GUI) is blank, so I believe I have to do something within Code::Blocks to clear those flags. I've bantered with ChatGPT how to find these stupid settings in Code::Blocks. It seems the interface Build Options for the "SFML" project is different from what I have in my personal Code::Blocks project.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:50:55 am by Kain Nobel »

Kain Nobel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 07:08:50 am »
EDIT: Moved the ChatGPT log to the post above. It may or may not be relevant, but you can see I've been working on this issue for quite an unreasonable and unacceptable amount of time.

EDIT: I've just uploaded a video for this issue.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

EDIT : I've just uploaded another video for this problem. Basically, I don't see the 3 problematic compiler flags in the context of Code::Blocks, CMake or in CMakeLists.txt.

Come to think of it, did something change in Code::Blocks? The only context I'm unable to find is one which has a ton of checkboxes related to the compiler settings. I bet I need to find the gargantuan compiler checkboxes window and uncheck these three. Usually it's as easy as finding my nose but now it's hiding so I'm wondering... did Code::Blocks remove it in an update?

Whatever. I can't spend more time looking for it tonight. Somebody will come in and, under 120 characters, probably tell me "go here, click that, click that" and I'll be like "Oh, duh! There it is LOL!"

Last Note: I'm no stranger to Discord, but I've never been able to verify or use my account. Even tonight, no dice. Somebody tried to add me: I can't add a friend. I can't even delete the thing. I'll contact the Discord admins another day, this would be my 3rd or 4th time trying in a year's span.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:40:41 pm by Kain Nobel »

Kain Nobel

• View Profile
Re: 99 Problems / (Not So) Fresh Start [CLOSED]
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 06:57:14 am »
I'm NOT requesting a moderator to close the topic, but it is (unofficially) CLOSED.

In other words, don't expend a whole bunch of energy trying to help me in this situation. It would be unnecessary.

However, If you happen to know where those 3 compiler flags are hiding, I'd still like to know, but it no longer applies to my current situation.

Thank you and have a nice day.

anything