Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Just wanted to say Thanks  (Read 1214 times)

fred219

• View Profile
    • Email
Just wanted to say Thanks
« on: June 18, 2023, 06:06:19 pm »
First time poster.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the forum to say Thanks to the person or people who build SFML. I guess you're too modest to think of such a thing. If I've missed it, apologies.

I'm a 65 year old hobbyist in the UK who's goofed around with Raylib and SDL, and in the last week I've been trying out SFML. They're all great fun but there's something about SFML which just feels right to me and it's definitely the one I'm going to focus on for the foreseeable future. (My main interest is not games as much as using c++ to create graphics.)

I'm always amazed at what some people create and then share so freely. It's people like you who convince me there's hope for us humans after all.  :)

Thanks again, and Good Luck for whatever you do with SFML in the future

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Just wanted to say Thanks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 10:47:30 pm »
I can only take a small portion of the credit, but I speak for all, when I say you're very welcome! :)

Glad to people engage with SFML and enjoying it.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Thrasher

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 10:19:46 pm »
I can't take credit for most of SFML but I'm still very happy to hear the kind words :)

Drex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 11:53:16 am »
Hi fred219,

I'm new here as well, I'm 54, and also from the UK....

I wanted to learn C++, but I didn't just want to see stuff being outputted to the console, so I use SFML, so that I can see what is going on graphically.

I've been learning C++ and SFML for about a year now, and I practice by, trying to re-create the mechanics of older style arcade games.

Programming is a great hobby, and SFML is a great library. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 11:59:20 am by Drex »

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 10:12:38 pm »
Hi and welcome to all newcomers! Always nice to see more people enjoying SFML! :)

there's something about SFML which just feels right to me and it's definitely the one I'm going to focus on for the foreseeable future. (My main interest is not games as much as using c++ to create graphics.)
I find similar inspiration too.
I rarely complete games; I prefer the creation of its parts greater than the sum of those parts! ;D

I wanted to learn C++, but I didn't just want to see stuff being outputted to the console, so I use SFML, so that I can see what is going on graphically.
This is exactly the reason I started with SFML.

I've been learning C++ and SFML for about a year now, and I practice by, trying to re-create the mechanics of older style arcade games.
I've done some of that too! Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man and things like Outrun have all been inspirations for trials and I've learnt a lot from attempting them. I have video clips of most of my versions (not always complete!) of those. Speaking of which, I must get back to Faux Car at some point... 8)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

fred219

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 11:49:15 am »
Thanks for the welcome, Guys.
Yes, those classic games are certainly fascinating.
Would be very cool to be able to code something like that.
In the meantime, just getting a grid of colored squares doing what I want is proving a lot of fun :-)