Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Road to Zero - The Microgrid Management Game  (Read 568 times)

gears1763

• View Profile
Road to Zero - The Microgrid Management Game
« on: January 04, 2024, 10:43:00 pm »
Hello SFML community!

I've recently completed my Christmas SFML project and published on Itch (my first release!). Check it out and let me know what you think.  ;D

https://gears1763.itch.io/road-to-zero-the-microgrid-management-game

Cheers!

rotenKleber

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Road to Zero - The Microgrid Management Game
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 01:06:48 am »
Fun little game - I liked the old school terminal aesthetics. After a couple tries I managed to easily win with a couple +1 and +2 tiles near my start. It seems like it's the first 20-40 months that are hard due to low credits and CO2, but if you survive that, spamming wind turbines makes the rest of the game just a matter of turning on and off turbines to avoid overproducing. Overall nice work!

gears1763

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 03:50:32 am »
Fun little game - I liked the old school terminal aesthetics ...

Hey, thanks for giving it a go and leaving some feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the old school terminals.  ;D

Yeah, you pretty much need to build wind early to win, which I was actually thinking about while play testing it. Trying to think of new entities or mechanics that I can add to the game, so that it isn't so monotone in terms of winning strategies (right now it's pretty much wind or lose). Tidal and wave can play an important part in your renewable portfolio, but not until closer to the endgame (they're just too expensive otherwise). Mind you, the performance and pricing of the different classes of generators is pretty close to the current reality (according to my research).

Maybe something along the lines of initial, temporary feed-in tariffs? For example, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed-in_tariff. Mind you, the low credits in the opening is supposed to be a thing, so I would need to be careful not to break this aspect of the game. Would need to think about it some more.

Cheers!

gears1763

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 03:54:36 am »
Hello SFML community!

I finally got around to putting together a (very) simple gameplay trailer for my game, so please check it out!

Cheers!

P.S., I am planning on doing a more detailed post, specifically on how I used SFML for this game along with some of the more interesting (I think anyways) aspects of the implementation. More to follow.

gears1763

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 10:59:19 pm »
Hello SFML community!

OK, so here's a more detailed post on the game, with a focus on some of the more interesting implementation aspects.

First of all, I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface of what SFML can do. For example, this particular project is a pretty simple single player game, so I make no use of either SFML/Network or SFML/OpenGL. That said, I suspect that as I take on more and more ambitious projects in the future, I will need to make use of those includes as well.

At this point I mainly use SFML for asset management and IO (it is, after all, a multimedia library). As part of the core of my project, I used SFML to implement an AssetsManager class, which then serves as a component class of the main Game class. Probably nothing earth shattering here, but essentially the AssetsManager class handles the loading and getting of various assets (sounds, fonts, textures, etc.), and then every other object in the game has a pointer to AssetsManager as one of its attributes. The other objects then use that pointer to access AssetsManager's public methods for getting pointers to the various assets being managed. That way, if multiple objects make use of the same asset, then it only needs to be loaded into memory once and is then shared by all using objects. The game just runs in a single thread, so there's no multiple access problems here either.

I take a similar centralized approach for input detection and handling. The main Game class has an sf::Event instance as one of its attributes, and then every other object in the game has a pointer to this instance as an attribute. Ditto for the sf::RenderWindow. I'm guessing this centralized approach is fairly common? Seems a natural way of doing things.

Beyond that, there are two things that I did in this project that were new for me; namely procedural generation, and implementing a centralized message system. Neither rely on SFML, but I think they are nontheless worth mentioning in the context of general game dev.

For the procedural generation (of both Tile types and resource values), I initially tried to use a Markov chain approach (since I wanted like types / resources to be generally clustered, to make assessment easier to infer from); see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain. Ultimately, this ended up not working that well, and it introduced the added complexity of needing each tile to keep track of its neighbours (which implies some kind of graph structure). Instead, I made use of some theory from my studies in ocean engineering, where the so-called random amplitude, random phase model is the go-to method for generating realizations of a sea surface (essentially, procedurally generating an ocean wave field). It basically boils down to Fourier series (planar waves) with a deterministic amplitude profile and random phases (and directions); see https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Superposition-od-many-plane-waves-with-random-phase-Originally-from-Pierson-et-al_fig4_273314549 for an illustration. Under this method, I get the "likes clustered" property while at the same time the only input needed is the (x,y) position of each tile (so they don't need to track their neighbours). This also means that I can iterate over the tiles in any random order and still get something that looks like what I'm after. It worked out rather nicely, actually!

For the centralized message system, I again used the "single instance that everyone has a pointer to" approach. That way, each object can send a message to the (in this case) MessageHub class without having to care who is receiving it (kind of a key feature of the observer pattern, which this is one example of). This allowed for the objects in the game to stay pretty loosely coupled while still being able to broadcast information to any other object. In hindsight, not that hard to implement really, but massively helpful. I can see now why this programming pattern is so common in game dev (as far as I'm aware).

Anyways, that's enough blathering on my part. If you're interested and want to get into the nuts and bolts of what I did, the game code (and documentation) is all open source; you can get your hands on it at https://github.com/gears1763-2/RoadToZero.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:44:27 pm by gears1763 »