Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: WM Specific information  (Read 3082 times)

mrjnewt

• View Profile
WM Specific information
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:34 pm »
I've looked over the documentation and haven't been able to find anything which supplies this functionality, so here goes. I'd like to request the addition of a function analogous to SDL's SDL_GetWMInfo (which returns the structure described here: http://sdl.beuc.net/sdl.wiki/SDL_SysWMInfo).

Why this is important:
With access to the display pointer and window (X11) or window handle (Windows), individuals can implement important functionality such as drag'n'drop, copy and paste, window shaping/transparency, etc. This removes the burden from SFML to build these things in.

Implementation difficulty:
Simple. SFML already manages this information behind the scenes; the addition of one function and one class would suffice.

Regards,
Justin

OniLinkPlus

• View Profile
WM Specific information
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:55 pm »
I use the latest build of SFML2

mrjnewt

• View Profile
WM Specific information
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:56:39 pm »
Great, I was searching the classes list and the WindowHandle class isn't documented. Is there any way to get the X11 display pointer? As I understand it, many X11 function require both the window and display handles.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
WM Specific information
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:58 am »
I think you can use your own display, it doesn't have to be the one SFML uses. That's what SFML does when you create a sf::Window from a X11 window handle; so far it works fine.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything