Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Why was CMake abandoned?  (Read 4468 times)

skylen

• View Profile
Why was CMake abandoned?
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:13 pm »
I was wondering why CMake was abandoned as a build system? Simply because no one was using it?

I find the current Makefile system lacking, particularly in that the paths are hard coded and it can't be installed to a user specified directory. I worked around this by installing it by hand (copying the .so files and the include directory manually).

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Why was CMake abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:22 am »
I was wondering why CMake was abandoned as a build system? Simply because no one was using it?

Yep, I decided to no longer maintain it uselessly.

I find the current Makefile system lacking, particularly in that the paths are hard coded and it can't be installed to a user specified directory

Makefiles can be improved for more flexibility, that's not a problem. I'm just not an expert in writting makefiles, so they may not be perfect ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Aszarsha

• MSN Messenger - aszarsha@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Why was CMake abandoned?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:51:46 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
I'm just not an expert in writting makefiles, so they may not be perfect ;)
Wow ! :shock: If everything you do and in which you're an expert is perfect ; I want you're secret, really ! :lol:

skylen

• View Profile
Why was CMake abandoned?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:56:59 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"

Yep, I decided to no longer maintain it uselessly.

I find the current Makefile system lacking, particularly in that the paths are hard coded and it can't be installed to a user specified directory

Makefiles can be improved for more flexibility, that's not a problem. I'm just not an expert in writting makefiles, so they may not be perfect ;)

Ok, thanks Laurent. Right now I'm just exploring the options among graphics libraries for simple free game development (along the lines of game-a-day simple and fun games). If I end up using SFML much, I may expand the flexibility of the makefiles.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Why was CMake abandoned?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:14:34 pm »
I've improved the makefiles so that we can now choose the destination directory.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything