Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Game won't start anymore  (Read 4120 times)

Rubenknex

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:26 pm »
Hello, I've a bit of a problem here, I continued working on my game and all of a sudden it won't start any more  :shock:. When I click the .exe it does nothing for about 5 seconds and then a console window pops up which doesn't close directly when you try to. It works on the computer of a friend of mine so it's not in the code.

I know it's not a lot of information but is there anything I might have changed in my computer that can cause this?

Breakman79

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:54:24 pm »
Have you tried compiling a debug version then stepping though it with a debugger to see exactly what it's doing or errors it throws on your computer?  

It's hard to find a solution without more specific information.

Rubenknex

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:19:27 am »
It doesn't even reach the "int main()" when I put a breakpoint there, in other projects without SFML it does  :x. Any game which uses SFML now stopped working, and it doesn't give any errors :(.

Fredos

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:59:17 am »
Same problem for me and I'm unable to solve it !
The problem showed when I changed my Ati drivers from 10.9 to 10.11, did you change your graphic's driver too ?

As it doesn't reach the beginning of main, I assume the problem must be in SFMLmain...

Edit : same problem here : http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3679

I can't use the static version because I get linking error messages.

Rubenknex

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:06 am »
Yes i also changed my drivers! Can you also downgrade them?

Fredos

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:53:32 pm »
I'm pretty sure we can downgrade them but 10.12 are coming soon with a lot of improvements and I don't want to miss that.

I succeed to use sfml in static.
Both entry point and exit point of main work now !

Rubenknex

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »
Ok I changed the libs to the static ones and it works now.
But now there are a few graphics artefacts that weren't there before (the areas where images were drawn the frame before are white), could this be the new drivers?

obi-wan shinobi

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 05:50:25 am »
sorry about the double post, see below

obi-wan shinobi

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:50:38 am »
I'm having this same issue on my system.  I have a Radeon HD5770 with the newest drivers and noticed the hanging issue near the start of November when I updated the drivers.  My system is a Windows 7 64-bit with a Phenom II X6.

When I ran my release configuration in debug mode in VS2008, I noticed that on the list of loaded .dll files (Modules), the message "The module did not load at the default load address" appeared on the icon for the following .dlls in my project: sfml-window.dll, sfml-graphics.dll, atiadlxy.dll

Even more so, SFML.net programs that I hadn't even touched in a while have the same problem as the C++ game project that I had been working on frequently.

I guess I'll try to downgrade my drivers to 10.10 or below.

Phlix

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 01:26:58 am »
Same problem occurred once I update my ATI drivers...

However I can't switch to static (as far as I know all that means is adding the '-s' suffix to the Linking Options and removing the SFML_DYNAMIC #define) because the same thing happens (am I linking it wrong?)

In addition, most sources on the internet seem to favor dynamic linking.

Is there a fix for this other than static linking? Am I doing the static linking right?

Thanks in advance!

Sami345

• View Profile
Game won't start anymore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:39:24 am »
I had the same problem. When I tried to debug my application gdb.exe just crashed.

I compiled my own binaries of static library and started using them. Works fine. Pre-build static libraries produced some strange undefined refence problems.

anything